Author Topic: HENSON family  (Read 30052 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HENSON family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know - I find they move more or less all over the Notts/Derby/Leics/Warwickshire area.  My Mary Toon I think came from Ratcliffe but certainly lived and had all her children in the All Saints area of Leicester. Oddly, she was married in coventry. Joseph, her father, was a carpenter. If you come across them in your searches I'd be grateful to know.

Hope you're lucky with your Hensons.
Lesley

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 September 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

My HENRY HENSON, (Schoolmaster) b.c. 1800, married  SARAH SKILLINGTON. 

Their daughter

HANNAH HENSON,  was born August 13, 1826 in Hickling, Notts.  She married THOMAS EDGSON April 6, 1851 in Harby, Notts, son of WILLIAM EDGSON and ELIZABETH CHAMBERS.  He was born 1831 in Long Clawson, Leics.

They had a family and lived in Long Clawson, Leicester.

;D ;D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Trisha

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
the parents of Thomas HENSON-b.1871 in Peterborough who was married to a Martha PAWLEY who has been previously mentioned were;-
William HENSON and Anne Eliza SLATER.They married at Crowland Abbey on the 4th Sept 1853.
William HENSON was born on 11 May 1831 at either Little Beltham,Leics or Littleworth,Rutland.He later went onto become the landlord of 'The China Cup' in Eastgate,Peterborough.
Anne Eliza SLATER was born in Wisbech on the 8th Sept,possibly in 1832.
Their other children besides Thomas were;-
Elizabeth Rebecca-b.c 1856 in Crowland.She married 1/Thomas NUTT 2/Joseph BURTON
Susannah-b.c.1857.She married a John Thomas FOVARGUE.
George-b.c.1860
Interestingly ,Thomas HENSON married twice to 2 sisters.His 1st wife Martha died in 1913.They had 3 children,Elizabeth Rebecca(Lalla),Anne Maud and John William(Billy).
He then married Martha's sister Emma.The only child of theirs that I know of was called Thomas,although confusingly he was always known as Peter.
Hope all this helps someone,
Trisha :) :) :)
Nottinghamshire: Pacey Hoe Hubbard Taylor,Plumber,Ownsworth,Harvey
Lincolnshire: Pacey Ragsdell Trafford Skelton Norton Lincoln Chester Smith Gilbert Palmer Rawding Baggerley Pask Welch Wright Green Clarke Dawson Grey Johnson Burton Wright Scargall Day.
Bedfordshire: Timms Virgin Hallsworth Kirby Osborn Basset Nixson Harding Odell Clark Thompson.
Northamptonshire: Ragsdell Waller Coales Breem Peak Wallet. Drake.
Norfolk: Palmer Howard Harpely Codling Mark

Offline stuart_rippon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for Thomas HENSON as well and the last post looks very coincidental

I'm looking for my GGGGrandfather Thomas HENSON Father of my GGGrandmother Rebecca born:abt 1821 - her birth place is Gidding huntindonshire in the 1851 census (her age in 1851 was 30) but the only likely candidate I can find in the IGI is Rebecca born in Glatton christened:1823 father Thomas mother Catherine ( I can find two other children Eleanor (born in Glatton ch:1817) and Alice (born in Great Gidding ch:1828).   Glatton and the Gidding's are really close together so I guess this may be a good match.

Rebecca lives in Cowbit lincolnshire in 1851 and Married Michael GILDROY ( his surname is spelled in many different ways) in Cowbit in 1844.  (they were very difficult to  find in the 1851 due to transcription errors and typically were on the last page so I had to scan the whole of crowland and cowbit before I found them.)  Michael died in 1849 and rebecca is down as a widow in the 1851 census.  I was lucky in unlocking this element via a new lincolnshire site with lincolnshire marriage records including maiden names and Fathers names.

Cowbit is the next village to Crowland and her Daughter Mary puts Crowland as her place of birth in later years although she is clearly in Cowbit in 1851 aged 2.

Interestingly Rebecca had a visitor in the house in 1851 a Thomas Henson who was also 30 year old he states his birthplace as Glapthorn Hunts.

The Marriage of William in Crowland might be a coincidence but  I wonder if this is the same family - any chance we have a link?

I also note that the names Thomas and Rebecca are coincidentally in your tree

can you see any linkages
Daw,Rose,Rippon,Rippin,Allen
Kirk,LE FEVRE
Brighty,Ballentine,Croxford,Henson
Gildroy,gilroy,gilleroy
bilss,claydon,downing,doubleday
hornby,green,hooks,Oliver,Patten,Pattern
Vickerman

plus others see website  https://www.rippon.me.uk/gedview

Offline Trisha

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
I think there is some possible connection but there are quite a few HENSON's around that area so it may not be too close.I'll go and have a look at my notes on the Hensons and see if I can work it out.I'll get back to you very soon.
Trisha :) :)
Lincolnshire: Pacey Ragsdell Trafford Skelton Norton Lincoln Chester Smith Gilbert Palmer Rawding Baggerley Pask Welch Wright Green Clarke Dawson Grey Johnson Burton Wright Scargall Day.
Bedfordshire: Timms Virgin Hallsworth Kirby Osborn Basset Nixson Harding Odell Clark Thompson.

Offline Trisha

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
I've had a look at my notes and it seems that my line of HENSON's come from Leicesteshire.None of the names and places are anywhere in my notes.That's not to say they're not related but I can't get any further back than 1831 at the moment.The relationship could be further back.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Trisha :) :) :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart

Welcome to Rootschat

Only about 15% of Hunts parish registers appear on the IGI, so "your" Rebecca could be among the 85% that the LDS weren't allowed to film. Whilst Glatton has been extracted,  Gt Gidding hasn't.

Having said that, you may have the right one as the 1841 census shows

HO107/450 - 14 Folio 13B
Great Gidding
Thomas Henson 60 Ag lab born in county
Catharine Henson 55 Born in Ireland
Thomas 20 ag lab; John 20 ag lab; Rebekah 15 all born in county

The Thomas age 20 (ages over 15 in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below) may well be the visitor in 1851 and provides a firmer link to Thomas and Catherine. I assume the Lincs marriage site to which you refer confirms her father's name as Thomas.

I couldn't see any other Hensons in the Giddings, and none in Glatton

There's no marriage on the Hunts Marriage Index for Thomas and Catharine.

There's a member submission on the IGI (always to be taken with large pinches of salt) of Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Catherine in 1812 at Gt Weldon Northants - the Gt Gidding Thomas and Catherine are old enough to have been married by 1812. Of course it might be a complete red herring,  but Northants is as badly covered on the IGI as Hunts. It might be interesting to see what a marriage look up request on the Northants board throws up.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline stuart_rippon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Great thanks for the input - sounds like it could be them I've found a Thomas Hendson ( note the spelling) in Great gidding in the 1851 census - must be the same one he was born 1780 ish ( usual 2 year plus and minus I guess) with his daughter Ann and grandchildren maryann and rebecca!!!.   

The 1851 gives me Thos b:1780 Glatton with daughter Ann b:1824 and grandchildren Maryann b:1845 and rebecca b:1848 all born Great Gidding

Now there is some very interesting stufff here:-

The IGI has a significant number of Hensons in the giddings and Glatton

In 1851 there is just Thomas above - where did they go? and why?

Then the big question for me is I have from the IGI three children to Thomas and Catharine as per my last post but one to Thomas and Ann.  I have their marriage as (Thomas Henson spouse Ann wells 20 sept 1843 great gidding) from the IGI but confirmed on the  BMD - is this a second marriage - ties up with your Thomas but cannot find Catharine's death That would make Thomas old when he married  Ann but again ties up with the census data I  have found

This bit of my tree is new to me so I have gone for my "now becoming standard scatter gun approach".  This is really interesting....  I have extracted all the 1851 census data for the Henson's in Huntingdon and each surrounding county. I'll post the data if anyone needs it let me know.   I plan to do a map of where they live and have only found one family in the Giddings area - none of the villages have anyone except for the the Hendson's which I covered above.  It looks to me as though the family left this part of Huntingdon on mass - I wonder why?.

Any idea's how I found out if this Thomas was previously married to Catharine then to Ann?  if this is right I have them otherwise I'm still looking

Daw,Rose,Rippon,Rippin,Allen
Kirk,LE FEVRE
Brighty,Ballentine,Croxford,Henson
Gildroy,gilroy,gilleroy
bilss,claydon,downing,doubleday
hornby,green,hooks,Oliver,Patten,Pattern
Vickerman

plus others see website  https://www.rippon.me.uk/gedview

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 February 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart

The BVRI shows the 1843 marriage. Thomas's father was Thomas and, given that there were two children and Thomas snr would have been in his mid 60's, I think it more likely that it was Thomas jnr who married and in 1851 he was merely visiting his sister where his marital condition was left blank. His wife Ann and their children MaryAnn and Rebecca were living with her father in law.

BVRI has
30 Apr 1844 MaryAnn chr at Gt Gidding parents Thomas and Ann
No Rebecca 1848 though

It also has
James chr Gt Gidding 31 May 1844 son of Rebecca Henson

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill