Author Topic: HENSON family  (Read 30046 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Re: HENSON family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 July 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Hi Oleg this looks them on the 1871 Census

1871 Census
RG10/1526

Duck End
Godmanchester
Huntingdon

William HINSON/Head/30/Labourer/Godmanchester, Hunts
Mary? HINSON/Wife/30/Haughton, Hunts
Elizabeth HINSON/Dau/2/Godmanchester, Hunts
William HINSON/Son/1/Godmanchester, Hunts

Not only has the surname been transcribed wrongly, but Sarah is named as Mary.. Anyhow, it's more than likely that this is your family.

:D :D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 July 05 09:28 BST (UK) »
 ;) ;) ;)

And again Oleg,

I think this kind of proves that the family below is yours !!

William HENSON married
Sarah Ann HARROP
in 1858 in Huntingdon
December Quarter 3b 558

And again, you can send for this certificate as outlined previously.

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks mobo!

William Church was my great grandfather - we knew he married Elizabeth Henson and had found the ref to the 1893 wedding.

The infuriating thing was the 1871 census - which would also have given the fathers name and lead to the Sarah Ann HARROP marriage! Can't beat a bit of bad transcription to infuriate -  no wonder i couldn't find any 2 year olds (+- a bit) born in Godmanchester called Elizabeth or any HENSONS born in the town!!
CHURCH & LUSHER (Peterborough) BARLOW, THOMPSON, PARKINSON (Hunts/Cambs)
GIBBONS, STEWART, WILLIAMS (Liverpool) DARE (Liverpool & Jersey)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Oleg

I was initally attracted to this topic, as I have HENSON'S in my 'tree', but I also have quite a few CHURCH'S (who married into my MORRIS'S).  See them on website as the profile below.

REBECCA MORRIS was born August 10, 1845 in Easton, Hunts. She married THOMAS CHURCH 1868 in Easton, Hunts. He was born 1843 in Barham, Hunts. Occupation: Butcher/Grazier. 

etc etc. etc.

Offline oleg_mcnoleg

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have been to your site and checked the CHURCH's (and Henson's!) just in case there was a link.

There doesn't appear to be an obvious one as yet.

I have CHURCH's in and around the Peterborough area stemming from Peter CHURCH b. 1791 (ish) probably in Bury St.Edmunds - he married Ann COX in 1823.

From these two i have all sorts spreading to Doncaster, Hitchin (females m to PALMER, BEETON & APPLEBY), Croydon (ELSEY), Woolwich, Lincs (MACHIN) as well as those who remained in Peterborough (fem m. to STAINSBY) - but remarkably none in Hunts!

If you come across anyone who fits in with any of the above feel free to send in my direction!!
CHURCH & LUSHER (Peterborough) BARLOW, THOMPSON, PARKINSON (Hunts/Cambs)
GIBBONS, STEWART, WILLIAMS (Liverpool) DARE (Liverpool & Jersey)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 September 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
I reached this topic by googling Henson - hope someone else may get here the same way. My John Henson was born c1809 in Keyworth and married to Elizabeth Garner c1813. They married 1839 in Wysall. John's father was William, a stockinger, but then I'm stuck. 

Does anyone recognise the family - or have any info please?

Offline may

• RootsChat Extra
  • Love to chat about genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 September 05 09:24 BST (UK) »
What a coincidence!!  I have a John Henson born about 1849 married to Elizabeth Garner (born about 1844 Cotterstock, Northants.  Children Elizabeth, Thomas and Margaret
looking for Toon in NW Leics. Henson from Peterborough and Leicester, King in London.  Would be happy to chat to others with the same interest in genealogy

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 September 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
May - these are quite distant relatives of mine. I'm doing this research for my elderly aunt who didn't know much about her family. She was a Henson. And I'm finding so much intermarriage in her family in Nottingham - the same surnames keep cropping up in different branches. So It's possible either your Henson or your Garner are related to mine.

My Hensons seem to have come from Keyworth or Ratcliffe, the Garners from Wysall. Elizabeth Garner's parents were Joseph Garner born 1785 and Sarah Painter 1789. Elizabeth's children were Elizabeth, Sarah, Joseph, William and John. If any of these crop up in your tree I'd love to hear.

I notice you're also researching the Toons - I have a Mary Toon born 1825 who married John Cutts - could this be another coincidence?

Offline may

• RootsChat Extra
  • Love to chat about genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:13 BST (UK) »
It must be coincidence methinks......  My Toon's are from NW Leics and the Hensons from Huntingdonshire/Leicestershire but there are many coincidences in this game don't you think?
looking for Toon in NW Leics. Henson from Peterborough and Leicester, King in London.  Would be happy to chat to others with the same interest in genealogy