Author Topic: German Birth Cerificate Details  (Read 2462 times)

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German Birth Cerificate Details
« on: Friday 11 August 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a birth certificate for my mother who was born in Berlin in 1940.  It lists her full name, birth date, parents names and father's profession and the address of the birth. 

Would there be a 'fuller' copy anywhere (Standesamt) with more information or is that the best that there is? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind regards

Jo

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: German Birth Cerificate Details
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 August 06 04:41 BST (UK) »
Jo,

that's all my Birth Certificate shows as well. As soon as I can get my email running again I will ask my nephew to see, if there is more information at the Standesamt.

Had a look once on my parents marriage entry and somebody recorded most of the children but when I got a copy there was nothing on.

MikeZulu

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I was hoping that I would somewhere be able to find more information about her father.  All we know is his full name (from my mother's birth certificate) and that he was killed in 1944/1945 (we have one of only 2 photos of him with the date 1944 embossed on it).  I have tried looking for the wedding certificate but as it was in Berlin (we think) it's proving tricky (especially with my very limited German  :)) 

Good luck with your searches ...

Jo

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 06 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

Was your grandfather killed while serving in the German Army?

If so, have you tried looking for him in the database of war graves on www.volksbund.de

If you give me his full name I'll look for you.

Justin

PS I'm going on holiday soon though.

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin

Yes, he was.  I did have a quick look but there appears to be lots of people with the same name and I am having trouble 'pinning him down'. 

His full name was Paul Emil Artur Friedrich.  My gran was born in 1912 so I assume, though it is only an assumption!, he was born at a similar time.  My mother was born in 1940 in Berlin-Schoeneberg and we have a picture of him with my gran and my mother which was embossed with the year 1944. 

It would be great if you could take a look and let me know if you have any luck.  Else I need to write to all of the Standesamts in Berlin to see if I can get the wedding certifcate.  Might be very costly ...

Thanks in advance

Jo

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

Quite a popular name! I also had a look through  the Berlin Address book from 1915 to 1940 - there are at least Paul Friedrichs.

Do not dispair, I think I have the solution. A census was taken on 17 May 1939. This census became infamous owing to the requirement to fill out a supplementary card detailing an Jewish ancestry. I think it is these cards that were filmed by the Mormons and can be borrowed.

However, you could try writing to the Bundesarchiv (Federal archies) in Berlin. Give them all the info you have about Paul, his wife and their address at the time of your mother's birth.

Bundesarchiv
Postfach 45 05 69
12175 Berlin

berlin [AT] barch.bund.de

I'll let you know if anything else occurs to me.

Justin

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 August 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Jo,

I think I have the definitive solution to your problem - registration cards.

The Landesarchiv Berlin holds the complete Registration Card Index (Einwohnermeldekartei) for the period 1875 to 1948.

Click on this link http://www.landesarchiv-berlin.de/lab-neu/start.html then select 'Bestande' and then 'Einwohnermeldekartei' from the menu. From this page you can download an application form (Antragsformular) in English for a search.

These cards have proven to be an invaluable source of information on my Hamburg ancestors.

Good luck!

Justin

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 August 06 02:40 BST (UK) »
<<His full name was Paul Emil Artur Friedrich>>

<<there are at least Paul Friedrichs.>>

Your ancestor would be known as ARTUR FRIEDRICH, the first two names being donated by godparent/witnesses.

I only have knowledge of 19th century birth and baptism records. These church records show parents full names, father's occupation and all witness names, occupations and addresses. At least one witness usually being a grandparent which is very useful when researching earlier generations.  The church marriage records I have seen also give bride & groom dates of birth and place.

Best Wishes,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke