Author Topic: Eleanor Atkinson of Donegal  (Read 2566 times)

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eleanor Atkinson of Donegal
« on: Friday 11 August 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
Searching for infomation about my Great Grandmother - Eleanor Atkinson of Donegal -

Her Marriage certificate of 1861 gives her father as -John Atkinson and his profession as - Farmer.

She gave her date of birth as - 1838 and her place of birth as -Donegal in the 1871 westerham, Kent, England census.

Any help to find Eleanor Atkinson and her parents would be grealty appreciated - regards - luc.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Atkinson of Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeanmarc,

Atkinson - Irish Flax Growers, 1796 - Donegal
Widow ??, Templemore
John, Donagh 
George, Templemore 
Alexander, Templemore

Christopher 

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 March 08 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

Thanks for the 1796 info, this could be John's parent or grandparent - if only i knew how to find Eleanor Atkinson c1838 birth details  then I would have a rough idea of John's age and occupation and residential address - thanks again for kindly sending me the 1796 inforegards - Luc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 March 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
To find information on Eleanor's birth you would need to search for church records (if they still exist) to see if there's a record of her baptism. You need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland) to look for church records. If you do find a church baptismal record it may show only the father's name or if you are luck also the mother's Christian name. Note: Eleanor may be entered as Ellen or some other variation of the name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey,

Thanks for the good advise - unfortunately, in my case  her english marriage certificate only states that she was of full age  was resident in the parish of High Holborn in London at the time of her marriage to John Sands in 1861
and the 1871  Kent census, states that she was living in the High Street in  Westerham, Eleanor Sands,status  mar, age 33, ocupation grocer, place of birth Donegal Ireland.
the 1861 Kent census, states that she was living in Westerham, - Eleanor Atkinson, status - unmar, age 23, occupation laundry maid,  birth place  Donagh Ireland.
that is all  - no mention of religon - but, her husband was church of England as were her children - so if she was originally a Catholic or Church of England I do not know !Nor do I know which town or parish she came from other than what is mentioed on the 1871 and 1861 kent census.

Which is a problem  - as I do so want to know more about her either before she married or after1874 when  her husband died she seems to have dissapppeared although three of her children are in the 1881 census -there is no trace of her -did she go back to ireland ? did she re-marry?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

regards - Luc

Offline conseiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Oops finger trouble sorry - Luc