Author Topic: Marriage look up 1914 CAWE/COLLINS  (Read 1673 times)

Offline sezelmg

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage look up 1914 CAWE/COLLINS
« on: Friday 11 August 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with a dead end I have had for years !

George Henry (known as Jack) CAWE married Martha COLLINS in Sep 1914

I have not been able to trace a birth (London) or the marriage cert to trace the Cawe name back any further. Can anyone help with further info to this marriage. I'm desperate to try and get the fathers name of Jack so I can continue back in England.

Regards
Sarah  ;D
London - M'Grady/McGrady, Eldon, Rice, Butt, , Simon, Kemp, Bickerton, Dean, Jenner, Cole, Cox, Fletcher,

Suffolk - Shipp, Basham, Hayes, Webb, Darking, Nunn, Archer, Kemp, Cutting

Kent - Friend, Tucker, Millen, Wallfoot, Bullock, Tipper, Farley, Diprose, Cox, Mason, Wise, Colseal, Stead, Sackett

Warwickshire - Dixon, Shelswell, Gilbert

Surrey - Lisney, Burgess

Durham - Fletcher, Allan

Norfolk - Culling , Howlett, Boult

Sussex- Kent, Lucas, Boult, Bayley, Crosskey, Jasper

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE LOOK UP 1914 Cawe/Collins
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 06 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

In which province was the marriage please?  Or city name if known...  Any other information about Jack or Martha would be useful too (birth years, place of birth, etc...)

Hope we can help!

Martha  ;D
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sezelmg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up 1914 CAWE/COLLINS
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:10 BST (UK) »
George Henry Cawe (aka Jack in Canada) and Martha Catherine Collins were married in Montreal on 24th September 1914..which was verified on his army papers from Canada

His date of birth according to the papers is Feb 1886. b. London

According to the papers he was living at 18 Dowd Street, Montreal, when he enlisted.

Now it doesn't tell you his religion but assume they were Prodestants.  I don't know if they got married in Church or it was a civil ceremony. 

Martha Catherine Collins was born in August 1895 in St. Olaves district Bermondsey. London

Her fathers name was Charles Henry Collins. 

Any help would be fantastic

Sarah  :D
London - M'Grady/McGrady, Eldon, Rice, Butt, , Simon, Kemp, Bickerton, Dean, Jenner, Cole, Cox, Fletcher,

Kent - Friend, Tucker, Millen, Wallfoot, Bullock, Tipper, Farley, Diprose, Cox, Mason, Wise, Colseal, Stead, Sackett

Surrey - Lisney, Burgess

Durham - Fletcher, Allan

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 06 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Ah...... Quebec, that complicates things a bit.  BMD registration is provincial jurisdiction in Canada, so each provice has its own system. 

Quebec did not begin civil registration of BMDs as we know it until 1994(!).  Before that it was essentially church-based (although some various systems were added in the 20th century to accomodate the growing number of people who did not claim to belong to a church).  But basically the church records were legal documents and that was all you needed. 

Anyway, until the 1960s marriages had to be performed in a church - there was no civil marriage. 

I suggest reading this article - based on my interpretation though, it looks like it will be extrememly difficult to find a marriage record (especially in a big place like Montreal, where the would have been many possible churches).  And  I think you may run into the 100 year privacy rule as well...

http://simmons.b2b2c.ca/attach1.htm

Go to the authors homepage as well - it seems they are quite knowledgeable about Quebec genealogy and could have some more tips.  We don't seem to have a Quebec expert among the people here on Rootschat, so we always have to look elsewhere when people post Quebec questions  ;D

But, after all that, I did find a little clue for you.  The Montreal City Directories are all on-line (1842-1977) at http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html.  In 1914/15 the occupant of 18 Dowd Street is Chas. Collins (father or brother of Martha??).  [Before this date it is occupied by Chas. Sharpe]  Chas. Collins stays there through 1916/17.  In 1917/18 - 1918/19 there is no name given, then after that the number disappears - Dowd Street starts at number 20, and the street does not seem to exist at all in persent-day Montreal, according Google maps.  So it looks like they were living with relatives of Martha's at the time of their wedding. 

I cannot spot them on the 1911 Canadian census, but maybe they weren't here yet.  It has been indexed (not yet quite complete) at http://automatedgenealogy.com

Check out the thread about Ships passenger lists at the top of the main Canada board for details about how to go about looking for the Collins' arrival.  It looks like you are narrowing it down to between the 1911 census and 1913. 

Unfortunately doesn't help you with Jack though!  :(

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sezelmg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martha,

You've been so kind - I need to have a good look at the info you've sent and decide what my options are from here.

I really appreciate your time & effort that you've given me.
Thanks so much

Regards
Sarah  ;D

Surrey - Lisney, Burgess

Durham - Fletcher, Allan

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
No problem Sarah.  Glad I could at least point you in the general direction.

CAWE doesn't seem to be a very common name!  I checked the 1891 census, just to see if I could spot him, and there is actually only 1 person transcribed as CAWE in the whole census.  (And it's not him  ;D ).  I think you will be running into problems with spelling  :-\  Similarly, there are only a half dozen or so CAWE births on the whole of freebmd. 

I can't think of anything else that would tell you his parents' names...  It sounds like you have already ordered his entire military file 0 or are you just going off what it says on his att. papers posted on-line?  If you haven't ordered the whole file I would suggest it.  It might contain another tidbit. 

Failing that, what about his obituary in the newspaper?  Or a will?  Do you even know where/when he died?

Sorry to not be of more help!

Martha