Author Topic: Purdie and Morrison families from Inverary.  (Read 2612 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Purdie and Morrison families from Inverary.
« on: Saturday 12 August 06 08:02 BST (UK) »
Alexander Purdie ,The Baker in Inverary died 1822. He had a son Alexander born 1820. Married Mary Morrison. They ran the Argyll Arms for some Time.They had a son Alexander in 1847. Anyone know more------?
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Purdie and Morrison families from Inverary.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Thommoje

Just some general info, which you may already have.

Firstly, Alexander and Mary's marriage details and one more son:

ALEXANDER PURDIE  Marriages: Spouse: MARY MORRISON     
Marriage: 06 APR 1846 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland

1. JOHN PURDIE  Birth: 06 MAR 1849 Christening: 01 APR 1849 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
2. ALEXANDER PURDIE Birth: 18 JAN 1847 Christening: 14 MAR 1847 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland

With Alexander's family, similar details, only one son showing:

ALEXANDER PURDIE  Marriages: Spouse: JANET GRIEG         
Marriage: 13 FEB 1818  Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland

ALEXANDER PURDIE  Birth: 08 JUN 1820  Christening: 25 JUN 1820  Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
Parents: Father: ALEXANDER PURDIE Mother: JANET GRAY

Lastly, this looks like widow Janet Purdie in 1841 census:

GREIG William, age 50, Overseer b. Argyllshire            
PURDIE Janet, age 45, b. Argyllshire            
GREIG Grace, age 35, b. Argyllshire

Address: Newtown, Inveraray & Glenaray-Argyllshire

Her parents and siblings:

DAVID GREIG  Marriages: Spouse:  ELIZABETH WALLS         
Marriage:  21 DEC 1784  Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland

1. DAVID GRIEG  Birth: 25 OCT 1793 Christening: 25 OCT 1793 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
2. GRIZEL GRIEG Birth: 30 JAN 1804 Christening: 03 FEB 1804 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
3. JAMES GRIEG Birth: 31 JAN 1802 Christening: 08 FEB 1802 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
4. JAMES GRIEG Birth: 02 AUG 1806 Christening: 09 AUG 1806 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
5. CHRISTINA GRIEG Birth: 09 SEP 1787 Christening: 12 SEP 1787 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
6. WILLIAM GREG Birth: 25 JUN 1785 Christening: 26 JUN 1785 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
7. ANNE GREIG Birth: 05 MAR 1797 Christening: 07 MAR 1797 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
8. JANET GREGG Birth: 16 NOV 1790 Christening: 17 NOV 1790 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland
9. ELISABETH GRIEG Birth: 06 FEB 1799 Christening: 18 FEB 1799 Inveraray And Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Purdie and Morrison families from Inverary.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 06 02:37 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Monica, Don`t know why I have not responded to your findings before this.I have been chasing the other side of my family.
                  I had already seen those details but hope there may be more to find about Alexander Purdie who married Janet Greig in 1818 and who died in May 1822.
                  His inventory is available and it tells me that he owned a share in the steam boat "Toward Castle" which plied between the Argyll ports and Glasgow along with the DunoonCastle, InveraryCastle and Rothesay Castle.
                  Besides being the Baker in Inverary , he was Harbour Master, Water Baille and was made Burgess of Inverary on 3 Oct 1818.
                   What did the " Priveleges,Liberties and Immunities belonging to a Burgess Freeman and Guild Brother" entitle him to do?
                    There is a family story that one of our Alexander Purdies worked for the Duke of Argyll but so did many people. I just hope to find out who his parents were and where he came from,
                                       Regards, Jean
                                        Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig