Author Topic: How do root chattters save money  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do root chattters save money
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
I'm just incorrigible  ::) ::) ::)

I've just spent 17.50 on 5 wills that might give me info on my newly found long line. They look as if they're going to be real fun deciphering.

Oh dear  :o :o :o

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
There we are trying to save money and letting everyone know how we do it and you come along spending it like crazy Gadget  :-\

Now we'll all be encouraged to spend more rather than saving lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 September 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
I have "saved" money by getting together with those who are researching the same name as me  ;D On our last RootsChat meet there were 3 fellow "mott" researchers who I have been in contact with, what a great day and with lots of chat.

If you have an unusual name perhaps you could form a group

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 September 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Looking forward to meeting you at Hastings!

I have an unusual name in my family - Kesterton and I would love to meet someone else with that name in the family.  I think I have spoken to one other person distantly related but niether of us can find much information about the family at all.

I live in hope.  It's great when you meet/have contact with these distant relatives and can share information.  I recently had two hits on one line in the same week and the three of shared so much information I went from having a girl with the surname to suddenly gaining about 200 names  :o :o :o

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:04 BST (UK) »
There we are trying to save money and letting everyone know how we do it and you come along spending it like crazy Gadget  :-\

Now we'll all be encouraged to spend more rather than saving lol

Carol

Well, Carol, l I think that was probably the best 17.50 I've spent  :)

However, my best money saver relating to the same line is joining Rootschat - a moral tale indeed  :)

I was sorting out my trees to put on my Rootschat website at the weekend and came across a 6 x great grandmother (married 1692)  that I seemed to have abandoned about two years ago. I did a search on RC and found a recent posting on this (unusual) surname in my area. I posted and lovely Jayson put me on to a website and an e-mail link that has now given me so many generations I can't count  :)

I have recently heard that I am indeed connected to a particular family and through them back to 1155 and possibly before, the Doomsday Book, first warden of Caernarfon Castle, Owain Glyndwyr, the Civil Wars....

..a thousand years of North Wales/Marches history in one search, a posting, an answer and an e-mail :o :o :o  So much to read and write about  :)

Thank you Rootschat - Sarah and Trystan, you've saved me so much and have given me so much  :)

Gadget  - doing cartwheels  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
I just go for it. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I ordered what I thought was the death certificate of my gg uncle, turned out to be the death cert. of his namesake, my-would-have-been-great-uncle, only 17 days old. Sad. I had no idea that child had existed before. Poor gran.

You have to take the risk.

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
And how many places are there out there where you can free Website design lessons Gadget as well as all that family history??

Great here isn't it?? ;D ;D ;D

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
and don't forget SIT - that is also very useful. It's the best FH site going and we don't have all that daftness that seems to be occuring elsewhere  :)

Love it!

Gadget

PS ..... and we seem to pass the CD parcel around  ;)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder how much money I have saved myself not having to drive to local record offices by asking the questions on RC and getting answers!!!  Hmmm

Kerry  ;D ;D ;D ;D