Author Topic: How do root chattters save money  (Read 8424 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do root chattters save money
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 August 06 18:40 BST (UK) »

Would recommend that you purchase only those you "truly" need. .. i.e. direct family. Before purchasing you really need to analyze the benefit you would receive from a record or "how vital the information is" to your research.

Also, there are many sites where you can get / obtain information for free.   

Rootschat is a wonderful site with many wonderful people all who are willing to help or assist. 

yn9man

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
Save up.

And I don't mean cash.  Well that to.

If you live a bit of a distance from a records office or library you really need to save your searches up.

I expand my Cumberland tree by at least 50 people before I allow myself to make the journey to the Cumberland Record Office.  But when I'm there I get wills, parish records, census, grave transcriptions.

Being prepared actually saves money because you can make teh most of your time.

Not everyone is located well for this kind of trip but if you can it is worth it.

Pam
 :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 07:38 BST (UK) »
Another tip on saving money is to get family friends etc to buy your subscriptions, certificates etc for Christmas and birthday presents.

Saves your money at least!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 August 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Saving money  :o

I'd be pretty rich if it wasn't for this hobby. I just take on more work when the bank statement look a bit fragile  ::)

Knowing me- I'd probably take out a loan if I needed some book, document or other  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 August 06 20:19 BST (UK) »
Gadget -

I believe we would all be richer in the old pocketbook if not for needing additional certs, books, documents. 

On the other hand we ARE richer for all the fine people we meet through our hobby ... especially here on rootschat.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 August 06 20:22 BST (UK) »
Have to agree.

I'm not complaining. I love you all  and value all the tips and friendships I've made :)

Never liked money for it's own sake anyway - just what it would buy  :D

You can't take it with you and I don't believe in inherited wealth.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 August 06 20:27 BST (UK) »
Me neither.  I gave a life of lots of money and a full time because I thought what was the point.  No children, no one to leave it to, so why makes loads of money.  So I choose to work part time and have just enough to live on.

Yes I wish I could buy more certificates etc but at least I am not climbing the walls with miserable work stress anymore, and believe me I was!!!!!!

And by the way there are ways of making a little money go a heck of a long way.  2 years down the line with half a salary and I have an overdraft of £2.30!!!!  I have paid all my bills on time and I still have a great time on Rootschat with you lot!!!!!  The best thing of all! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MOM OF TWO

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 August 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
Looks like this topic is proving popular thanks for all the tips and ways to save money. Very encouraging and nice to chat with so many helpful people.
Hope to read some more
Teresa
LYMBERY.  KNIGHT,  BROOKS, COCKERTON, DRAYCOTT, PAGE, TIVEY

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE &  DERBYSHIRE

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
Absolutely Gadget, I couldn't have said it any better.

What is money anyway? Just printed paper.

Many people become materialistic but what has it done for them. Just look in the dailies and see how TRULY happy the rich and famous are.

Teresa -

Glad to have helped and best of luck with your research

Kerry -

I stopped working a couple of years ago in order to care for my ill mother. I am making due but much happier than when I was working 50 - 60 hours a week.   

yn9man