Author Topic: EVANS, Bedminster  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans, Bedminster
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey,
Francis is an enigma isn't he -  I'm amazed at your depth of knowledge and ability to hone in on the important details.   It did seem strange that he wasn't with his family, so who knows.  We will perhaps know more when we get the birth certificate.  His address of Coalpit Lane gives a hint to the mining.  I did find a photo of Hebron Chapel online and will keep looking.

Courage is the right word!  They had terrible storms on the way which damaged the ship - 2 months in Mauritius for repairs - more storms and Mary Ann was pregnant when she arrived, so what must it have been like for her as apparently they all had to 'man the pumps'!  They did have two sons as well as 4 daughters, but neither son had children. 

Thank you for your interest - you have been so generous! 
Abby

Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 August 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't worry too much about him not being with immediate family. It seems to have been not unusual for children to live relatives at that time. My wandering gggrandparents left children with various aunts, uncles, greataunts and anyone else who'd have them, even when they quite young. Luckily, they had an unusual surname or I'd never have found them.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 August 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
I got Francis Joseph Evans birth certificate today - wanted to let you know it arrived!   I have put a posting about it on the Somerset site as it seems we are supposed to start a new thread each time you ask something different??  I am trying to learn the site protocols and do it right.

It confirms his mother's name was Ann, but gives her maiden name as Sprod (I think - although I may not be reading it correctly), which is why I was hoping someone might recognise it.

Wanted to say a big thank you again for all your help Osprey - you have given me so much valuable help.

Thanks again,
Abby

Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again Osprey,

I have been reading through all the information you have given me again and again and realise how amazing your ability is at getting to the important facts.  Everything you found out really seems to add up. 

It is hitting home - I know we have the right family now and I can start to 'own' these new relationships!!  Through your detective work, you have been amazing.  I have one remaining aunt who is 88 and your information will mean a great deal to her.  I apologise for it taking me so long to absorb it all, but I'm so thrilled!!!

You said you have an ancestor with an unusual surname and now I have a Sprod! (I hope I'm not offending any Sprods out there).   After Evans, Smith, Jones, Green and Clark it makes my tree a little more colourful. 

Must get some sleep,
Thanks again,
Abby

All to New Zealand

Offline smharrower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 December 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abby,
   I realise this is a bit of a long shot but just read your post of 6 years ago re Evans in Bedminster. Francis was obviously the brother of Julia Evans who married Thomas Walter Long. They were my husband's g g grandparents.  If you are still interested pehaps we could share information.
 Best Wishes Susan