Author Topic: Where was Grove Street Glasgow?  (Read 20761 times)

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Grove Street Glasgow?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

My old map of Hillhead 1909 shows an 'Inste' on the north side of Grove Street.   On Cammy's map, the streets immediately to the east of and parallel to Gardner Street were Kelvin Street on the north side of Grove Street and Scotia Street on the south side.   The 'Inste' was just to the east of Kelvin Street and looking straight down Scotia Street.   The building between it and the corner of Kelvin Street is marked as a dispensary.

Hope this helps.

David.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
Wow you guys are fantastic!

I haven't been home yet to check parishes but all this info is great!

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline lachlan2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 August 06 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Pam my name is Adrian Pearce.

My Father & sister and Grand-perents also my step grand-mother also went to there too for a very long time went to Grove Street Institute.

My Great Grand-perents also Grand-perents & step grand-mother went there when they where children all the way up to 1951 when they came out to Australia. 

Hi All,

I'm trying to locate a few places in Glasgow and coming up to a dead end.  I'm trying to find old photos or maps that may show some places.

The first place is Grove Street in Glasgow.  I'm pretty sure it no longer exists as nay hits on multimap or Google.

But there was an institute called the Grove Street Institute - does anyone know where this equates to on a map today?

I know this address "73 Grove Street" existed in 1911 as a birth took plsace there as per a birth cert and it still existed in 1924.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam
 :)

Offline pendeen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Everyone I am seeking to put together an image of Grove St, which was indeed in the Cowcadens part of the city and disappeared under the development when the M8 was driven through the city in the late 60,s
I have a composite map I have put together and so far one photograph of the Grove Street Institute. My interest here is that my great-grandmother Mrs Margret O’Donnell (maiden name Burns) who appears on the 1901 census as owning a newsagent and store at number 61 Grove Street.
There is a bit of family mystery surrounding this woman and I would appreciate any info regarding her or Grove street during this period.

Please have a look at the composite map. The first thing I would like to know is, as you will see none of the property is numbered. If you have any indications of the numbering or anything else I may be interested in please post it here. [email removed: please use private message system]
Regards
Tony

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
Streets in Glasgow were always numbered from the end nearest the city centre and starting at that end the odd numbers would have been on the left.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
61 grove street is listed in the 1913 valuation rolls as a house (tenement block) 59 and 63 are listed as shops (63 is house/shop)

http://www.theglasgowstory.co.uk/valindex.php

search for Ward 16, p059

to put your map in context the Grove Street Institute was no's 80 - 82

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 September 06 00:19 BST (UK) »
Tony,

The numbering was odd numbers on the south side and even numbers on the north side, in each case starting at the eastern end at the junction with Garscube Road and finishing at the western end at Gardner Street.    I think the highest numbers were 107 and 108.  Proceeding west from Garscube Road, the first street intersecting on the the south side is Abercorn Street, and the numbers either side of that intersect were 41 on the ease and 43 on the west.   So your number 61 was the tenth property west from the intersect, somewhere before you arrive at the Scotia Street intersect.

Does that help?

David.

Offline lachlan2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 April 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
My cousun Derek still goes there and if you want me to find out more for you
please let me know and I will get incontactwith him as he went there in the 60's

Adrian

Offline NZGran

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
73 Grove Street Glasgow?
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
I see that someone has a birth record from 73 grove street Glasgow.  I have a letter to my great auntie in nz written from this address from her cousin who was a Rennie.  Would love more information about the Rennie family as I understand mrs Rennie was nee Stewart
Thanks Joan