Author Topic: howells family  (Read 5011 times)

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
howells family
« on: Sunday 20 August 06 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello There,
I am searching for information on a George Howells from Brecon. He was an iron puddler on census returns. Some census show his birthplace as Crickhowell but 1901 has birthplace Blaenavon. He was born 1852, there is little info on family,apart from a brother called William and sister Mary Jane. George is a boarder in Llanelly Brecon on 1871 census. 1891 living in Middle rd Swansea occupation Puddler. in 1901 he is in Sheffield with his wife Mary and their family:Thomas George Howells, Edith Howells, Lavinia Howells, William Howells,Mary Jane Howells and David Howells who was killed in action in WW1. Does anyone have any info on this branch of Howells family? All requests to date have hit a brickwall.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: howells family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 06 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mariesa

Welcome to Rootschat!  ;)

You seem to have quite a lot of info already!  I take it you have access to censuses, as you mention 1871 onwards.

Perhaps it would help if you clarify what info you are looking for.  Are you trying to go backwards to discover the family's origins, or are you looking for descendants?  Hsve you sent for any certificates?

Hoping to help.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to establish whether George Howells was born in Crickhowell or Blaenavon and who his parents were, in order to get a birth cert. for him. Would appreciate any info in relation to the family.
Thanks Again,
Mariesa 

Offline ems girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 06 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mariesa,
There is a birth for a George Howells registered in apr qtr 1852 Crickhowell vol 11b page 129. I'd be tempted to send for it. Cant find him on earlier census yet, but will have another look after work.
Morgan=Aberdare/Hirwaun
Thomas=Brecon/hirwaun
Havard=Brecon/Hirwaun
Beynon=Hirwaun
Perkins=llanboidy
Checkett=Lancaster
choake=plymouth/Lancaster
Birkett=Lancaster
Hughes=Corwen

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your help, will send for the birth certificate you found reference to. It would be great to find him on an earlier census. George has been a bit tricky to trace because there are no details within the family regarding his parents or siblings. Can't find his wife's maiden name either.
Thanks again
Kind regards
Mariesa

Offline ems girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
Mariesa, still haven't found him, but had a look for a marriage and there is this one (as children are said to be born Swansea);
Apr qtr 1875 Swansea George Howell to Mary Healy (vol 11a page 802).
I'd try for the birth cert first, to get mothers' maiden name and fingers crossed it's the right one and she was a Healy.
Morgan=Aberdare/Hirwaun
Thomas=Brecon/hirwaun
Havard=Brecon/Hirwaun
Beynon=Hirwaun
Perkins=llanboidy
Checkett=Lancaster
choake=plymouth/Lancaster
Birkett=Lancaster
Hughes=Corwen

Offline mariesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
I am so grateful to you for your help, seem to be getting through the brickwall at last.

Thanks Again
Best Wishes
Mariesa

Ps will let you know how I get on with certificates

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: howells familyPlus Webb, Winston and others
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking to reactivate this thread. Looking at Cecil [Lord Burghley DNA Project] , Howells, Webb, Gilbert, Winston, Hyatt, Parry, Harris and Word. I have a direct DNA attachment to the above and looking at any possible family connections and any with the above names that would like to be involved in the project.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.