Author Topic: Tutorial: how to Make a Montage  (Read 28777 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tutorial: how to Make a Montage
« on: Wednesday 16 August 06 02:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me some basic ideas how I might make a montage for my family gathering in a few weeks.
Any help would be appreciated.
Just need to know where to begin and if possible a few steps to take.
A tall order maybe but I need to complete this task
Thanks in advance
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tut how to Make a Montage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 04:23 BST (UK) »
I have given some workshops/tutorials in this but not sure about online help without a great deal of time.

The first thing you need to do is to pick some images that you think might be suitable. Have some ideas in your mind's eye. Do some sketches and mock-ups. Then get a blank 'canvas' and play around with various arrangements until you have something you like.

It's really a matter of artistic composition andf ability and a personal aesthetic. No one can teach you this in a few words. Practise, look what others have done, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 05:15 BST (UK) »
As Gadget says,
    It is not easy to explain on here, however I shall run through the basic steps without going into great detail.

First sketch out your idea either on paper or in your mind. Then collate all the pics that you think you want (and some extras). Make a new file in my photo's called "montage", make another file inside that one called "individual" pics and put all your collated pics in there.

Now one by one open each of the pic's and double click on the background layer (in your layers pallette), in the dialogue box that pops up click ok - this changes the background layer into an ordinary layer. Next select the part of the picture that you don't want and press delete - you should now have your image without any background (a chequered pattern). Make another file inside your individual pic's folder and call it "cut outs" and save each of your cut outs in here. Remember work on only one image at a time, then save it and close, this will prevent overloading your computer memory.

As said this is only an outline of how to do it, the finer points I shall leave out, otherwise it would become far too complex.

In the next day or two I shall post the next stage.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 06:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I know that you are both busy, so what you have given me is appreciated. What I really need is the techical part such as layers ect. I can organize the pics and other things. Also if you can guide me to some web pages which contain montages that others have done. I can look and learn from these. Starting from scratch is never easy.
I will look online for some tuts along with pics to help me.
You know by now that I am a visual learner, and if I can see it I can do it.
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 07:45 BST (UK) »
Joy once you have the above done you are well on the way. I shall make suggestions that prevent memory overload - because that is the biggest problem with a montage
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline Valry

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn

I too am trying you instructions - I now have a picture with a chequered background is that correct?  Also, should I save in psd or jpeg?

Thanks Valry
Glamorgan // Palmer - Herbert - Whitmarsh - Montague - Jones
Pembroke // Palmer
Hereford & Worcs // Herbert - Whitmarsh
Leicester // Walker - Pollard - Mathers - Ellson/Illson - Carter - Oswin - Storer
Derby// Mathers
Nottingham// Carter - Marshall
Somerset // Montacute/Montague - Budd
Monmouthshire// Budd - Barrett
Yorkshire// Ribee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Valry - While you're creating your montage, you will need to preserve the layers so save in psd or tif. Once you are sure you have the final composition, you could save in jpg but this will reduce the image to a one layer one - with or without compression.

Joy - there are lots of photomontage/collage images around to give you some ideas of what you might do - in fact most newspapers and magazines use these techniques. The most important thing is to think about what you want to say visually -

do you want a simple statement or something more complex?
how do you want to use colour ?
are you going to use different sized images?
do you want to include text?
are you going to use parts of image?
do you want hard edge or rough or mixture?
with layering - are you going to use different levels of opacity so that different images show through?
what background effect do you want ? - in aesthetics/art, the space between the images is as important as the images/objects themselves

Once you have some idea of these issues, you will also probably have some ideas in your minds eye. It's then really a matter of what I like to think of as 'playing' with the images - grouping them, moving them apart,  taking them back, bringing them forward, making some brighter, subduing others,making some smaller/bigger, etc, until you get to a total effect that is near to what you want - your message.

Den will take you through these stages technically but it is vey difficult for us to show you how to achieve your own personal aesthetic.

Think that's my input for the time being.
Feel free to ask anything about what I've said.

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn

I too am trying you instructions - I now have a picture with a chequered background is that correct?  Also, should I save in psd or jpeg?

Thanks Valry

You MUST save as a layered file otherwise when you re open it you will have a white background instead of clear (chequered). I save as psd for convenience.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
Step 2       Cleaning up the images

Open the first of your images and create two new layers and fill one with black and one with white. Now drag your image to the top of these layers and try hiding first the black then the white so that you can see which one shows all the dags left on your cutout.
Go around the edges of your cutout erasing any major dags (don’t worry too much about a couple of pixels showing – there is an easy way to deal with them).
       Once you are satisfied that you have done as well as possible go to layer on the menu bar and go down to matting and click on defringe. Experiment herewith the settings – 3or4 pixels will normally do the trick of removing that halo.
        If you have no text to go with this image you may now delete those two extra layers otherwise leave the for the time being.