Author Topic: The murder of James DIGGLES 1824 - Rastrick  (Read 1684 times)

Offline dustfairy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The murder of James DIGGLES 1824 - Rastrick
« on: Monday 21 August 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me find any details of the following murder.

James Diggles death in November 1824 his body was in Rastrick, parish of Halifax in West Riding. 

I would think that this would be in a local newspaper, and would like to know any more details. 

Janette
Research names: Tate, Gibbeson, Johnson, Watson, Hewitson, Lenton, Rees, Armitage, Copley, Lees, Fitton, Howe, Moody, North, Tiffany

Research areas: Durham, Northumberland, Warwickshire, Huddersfield, Pembrokshire, Kirkburton, Ireland

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THE MURDER OF JAMES DIGGLES 1824 - RASTRICK
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 06 10:30 BST (UK) »
Other than telling you that he was aged 34 and buried 12th Nov
I can find no execution of his murderer in the list of exectutions
for all crimes 1800-1830.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Janette,

James Diggles was, as Saddler as already said, aged 34 at the time of his death. James was employed as a Footman and was, and had been since being a young boy, in the employ of John Armitage Esq. of Woodhouse,  Rastrick. On Friday the 5th November James had been drinking with some local gamekeepers in a local public house when an argument started between another party and one of the gamekeepers. The argument drew on with threats of violence from the other party until a fight broke out between one of the gamekeepers and a man called James Ellis.

Eventually the fight was broken up and the other party of eight left the pub. About midnight the gamekeepers also left the pub only to be set upon by the other group of men who had left earlier. The out come of this fight was that James Diggles and another were seperated from the gamekeepers and were set upon by the group of eight. Having  both been knocked down in the fight, James and Emanuel Brook were left where they fell but one of the assailants went back to James and hit him violently about the head.

The other gamekeepers came back to find James in a bad way but he managed to walk back with them to the public house for help. James and Emanuel were taken to John Armitages house where James was seen by a doctor and two surgeons. However James died on the tuesday from the wounds that had been inflicted on him.

All of the assailants where caught and at the York Assizes on 4th April 1825 John Dawson, Henry Nuttall, John Dyson, James Ellis, James and Christopher Tiffany and John Bray were aquitted of the murder of James. Anthony Bray, who had been seen as the main person to have inflicted the wounds on James was found guilty of the Manslaughter of James Diggles.

A full newspaper account of the murder can be found in The Times for November 22nd 1824, page 3; Issue 12504; col, C

and a full newspaper account of the trail can be found in The Times for 7th April 1825, page 3; Issue 12621; Col, B. under the heading "Lent Assizes".

hope this helps

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dustfairy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Rowley

Many many thanks for the information you have given me with regards to James.  You have certainly given me a great deal of info, will have to get the newspaper report cuttings of the trial and the murder.

The reason I was wanting the info, is I have just found that James and Christopher Tiffany were in court in York, and recently found out that they were involved the murder.  They are the brothers of my 3xgreat grandfather.  They were found not guilty and discharged, which is the info you have provided,

Thanks again

Janette
Research names: Tate, Gibbeson, Johnson, Watson, Hewitson, Lenton, Rees, Armitage, Copley, Lees, Fitton, Howe, Moody, North, Tiffany

Research areas: Durham, Northumberland, Warwickshire, Huddersfield, Pembrokshire, Kirkburton, Ireland

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The murder of James DIGGLES 1824 - Rastrick
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dust fairy

I ahve found an earlier account of the murder I will send you with a Pm so you can contact me by email

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline andecc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile