Author Topic: morrison - fife area  (Read 4210 times)

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
morrison - fife area
« on: Monday 21 August 06 13:01 BST (UK) »
have a margaret morrison born 10 sept 1836 in alloa clackmananashire - her parents were william morrison and margaret morrison - any help here would be great - thanks - bambie

bervonian

Re: morrison - fife area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 06 13:52 BST (UK) »
How sure are you that Margaret Morrison was born at Alloa ? Using the I.G.I. I can find no record of her being born there but there is a Margaret Morrison born 10 Sep 1836 who was baptised 13 Sep 1836 at Urquhart & Logie Wester, Ross and Cromarty.  Should she be the correct one she had a sister Catherine Forbes Morrison born 06 Sep 1838 at Connon, Cononbridge, Ross and Cromarty, the parents being Donald Morrison and Margaret McLennan who were married 04 Jan 1834 Urray, Ross and Cromarty.

Bervonian.

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 05:47 BST (UK) »
hi bervonian - gosh you have been busy - it was you I spoke to last night my time (west australia) on the chat line - or was it someone else.
anyway I have written to this cousin who belongs to my laing side of the family tree - I had margaret morrison on my gt grandmothers christina laing wedding cert - down as her parents a margaret morrison and james laing with their marriage 31 dec 1855 dunfermline
the information about  margaret morrison and birth date I got of my cousin who I found on the Genes Reunited site -
I remember trying to find margaret morrisons parents in fife on the scotlandspeople site - but had no luck -
so I have written to my cousin to find out what she has on margaret morrison or where she got that info.
will let you know when she replies - thankyou for all the trouble you have went to - do appreciate your time you have put in - thanking you - bambie

bervonian

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambie,

No, twasn't me on the chat line; I'm rarely on it !

It may just be a coincidence, and we have two Margaret Morrisons born on the same day.  However, there is another way of finding out where and when 'your' Margaret Morrison was born.
In the wedding certificates of 1855 there was a requirement to show, in addition to the ages of the bride and groom, their birthplace and where and when registered. This information only applied to 1855.
I reckon it would be well worth getting a sight of the certificate via Scotlandspeople to confirm (or not as the case might be) that she was born at Alloa.

Bervonian.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bambie, I just joined Rootschat and my Great Great grandparents are James Laing and Margaret Morrison married 1855 Dunfermline.  I know Margaret was born Alloa from the mc and census's but cannot trace her parents marraige or death either.  I also met 2 3rd cousins on Genes and I wonder if you are one of them? Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 10:35 GMT (UK) »
hi all,

i hope nobody minds me throwing in my tuppenceworth.....

wonder if this is the correct family?

1841 census- shiling hill, town of alloa

william morrison...age 25...jailer
margaret morrison...age 25
margaret morrison...age 4
william bias...age 55...mattman
janet bias...age 20
william love...age 25...rope maker
elizabeth love...age 25
thomas love...age 5

all born clackmannanshire

1851 census- alloa

margaret morrison...head...age 33...housekeeper
margaret...age 14...piecer
mary...age 2

1861 census- 11 brick row, carnock, fife

james laing...age 26...coal miner
margaret...age 22
margaret...age 4
isabella...age 2
mary...age 2 months.

now this is my take on things....

there is an extracted marriage for william morrison to margaret headlaw on the 2/9/1836 in alloa, no children showing up on the igi's.

i believe that william died after 1949 and margaret his wife moved in with william's brother!!!!!

18611 census- izat street, alloa

james morrison...age 50...bootmaker
mary morrison...age 12
ann morrison...age 7
margaret headlow...age 41....servant

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe, Thanks for that. The 1861 census is our one definately in Carnock.  Not sure about the marriage though as parents of margaret are William Morrison and Margaret Morrison m.s. Morrison on her mc to James Laing.  Could be a mistake I know. Margaret was born 10/9/1836 in alloa, could be they married just in the nick of time eh!

William was dec by 1855 as per mc and his occupation Tailor - this could look like Jailor though. I will check these out thanks. Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge