Author Topic: Irving Cumbria  (Read 11756 times)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irving Cumbria
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you that is really helpful, where is St John's, is it in Workington?

Now in parish register land so it is all very hazy. If Workington this would tie in with a census as keeper of the lockup in 1851.
Would love photo.

Thank you so much

Frances

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances
St John's is in the centre of Workington:
http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/workington-st-johns-church.htm

William Irving's daughter married later in 1855:
GUNNION. - IRVING. - Dec. 25, 1855, at St. Johnís Church, Workington, by the Rev. W. JACKSON, M. A., Mr. Joseph GUNNION, shipwright, to Ann, daughter of the late Mr. William IRVING, clerk of the said church (From the Cumberland BMD notices website)

In the 1861 census, Ann Irving appears to be living with her daughter Ann Gunnion and two grandchildren in Sanderson St Workington. She gives her age as 75, so might be the Ann Irving who died in Workington in March 1865 aged 78, and buried in St John's

cheers
robbiesmum

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this all fits exactly. Ann's brother, Joseph is my great grandfather.

Another step along the road.

Frances

Offline flojeanie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 03:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Frances,
Am new to rootsweb, I am linked to Ann Smithson, and wondered if you have confirmed William Irving's marriage partner yet?

You quote  the 1851 census of the most likely William and Ann
she appears to come from Cockermouth parish. areas cover. He appears to come from Seaton.

I have a Ann Wilson parish of St Cuthberts
Ann Peel from Wigton
Ann Smithson from Workington

Would be great if our families connect.
Flojeanie

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Flojeanie

I have the same problem, 4 Williams and 4 Ann's in the Parish registers. At the moment the sons Robert, Joseph and Ann definitely lived in Workington, Joseph was married from Maryport. I have just sent off for Roberts marriage certificate to see if
I can confirm anything from the information from that. None of the living relatives remember cousins with the name of Gunnion (supposedly Ann's husband).

It would be so neat if the William was the one who died in Workington and this was the father of Robert, Joseph and Ann.

Have you got any proof that Ann Smithson was this Williams wife except for birth place as Workington?

It is very frustrating. Joseph was my Great grandfather who married Rachel Abbot, their son Thomas Abbot Irving moved to Leyland about 1912.

Look forward to hearing from you.

regards Frances

Offline flojeanie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances
Dont have a great deal of info,  My connection is thru  GGdad- Robert and his parents Ann Smithson & William Irving.

Marriage for Ann Smithson  &  William Irving  is  10 Feb 1821  @ St Michaels, Workington. LDS Bishops Transcripts state Residence for both bride & groom as  of this parish,  no parents are listed.

Children baptised to above couple @ St Michaels were-
Hannah on 23-10-1823
Ann on 2-11-1826
Robert on 18-12-1831

I note there is a Joseph baptised @ Camerton on 16-9-1821 -- Parents were William and Ann [surname not stated]
Also I wonder if there was a child called William  [because of naming patterns etc]

Have been unable to establish details of prior Irving generations etc, so any assistance woud be appreciated.

Cheers   Flojeanie

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Flojeanie

I have just been looking at the 1842 census, this is where life becomes difficult

William 1801
Ann 1801

children
Joseph 1826
Ann 1831
Robert 1832

except for possibly Robert this does not tie in with your baptisms. Do you have any certificates? are we looking at 2 different families.

I will let you know the results of Roberts marriage certificate as this may help.

regards Frances

Offline flojeanie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,
Have Robert's LDS baptism- 18-12-1831 and Marriage and Death Certs. He emigrated to Oz  c1853, was married in 1863 and died 1906 aged 74 years.
Robert's M Cert states his birth place as Workington and parents as Ann Smithson & William Irving- whose Occ was a Moulder, of England.
When William's children born, his occ in 1821 & 1823 was a Husbandman,  in 1826 an Ironfounder and in 1831  a labourer,   the family was resident at Workington during these years.     Robert may have been the only one to immigrate.      Dont know when Hannah or Ann may have married / died.
Possible Census --  but not proven--
1841 - Wm & Ann & 2 children @ Finkel St, Workington, Occ- Foundry
1851 - Wm & Ann & 1 child @ Nook St, Workington, Occ Keeper of LockUp
1861 - Ann, Head, Widow- @ Sanderson St, Workington with Daughter- Ann & 2 Grandchildren, age 75, Occ- Clothes Mangler, born Cockermouth.
You may be right- 2 different families? Trust you can decifer. Cheers Flojeanie.

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Flojeanie

I am sure they are all the same family but I am going to clear the table get everything I have on them and see which bits cross reference. Your census returns tie up nicely with robbiesmum posting of William being clerk to the St Johns. I suppose keeper of the lock up and being church clerk are both jobs of responsibility in the community.

Are you by any chance related to the Australian link?

regards Frances