Author Topic: McDougall and Patterson from Isle of Mull  (Read 13639 times)

Offline oldster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDougall and Patterson from Isle of Mull
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 June 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
my ggrandfather was born in scotland in 1837, susequently came to Finch. He married mary mcdermid there in 1863. His parents show as being alex(alexander?) mcdougall and flora patterson. His given names were hector patterson mcdougall. In the 1871 census they are still shown in Finch and now with five children, archibald 6, john 5, catherine & flora 2, coll newborn. My grandfather was hector donald mcdougall born in 1878. He susequently married and came west.
According to family lore my father, donald gordon macdougall was born in a covered wagon in cayley, alberta on their way to work in the mascot gold mine in keremeos, bc. So far i have been unable to locate either my grandmothers name or the location of alex & flora. note how they used the mothers maiden name as alex's second name. I am only too pleased to be of assistance and hope you may be able to assist me.  thank you for the time, Gordon Wallace MacDougall.

Offline Tricia MORE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 June 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
my ggrandfather was born in scotland in 1837, susequently came to Finch. He married mary mcdermid there in 1863. His parents show as being alex(alexander?) mcdougall and flora patterson. His given names were hector patterson mcdougall. In the 1871 census they are still shown in Finch and now with five children, archibald 6, john 5, catherine & flora 2, coll newborn. My grandfather was hector donald mcdougall born in 1878. He susequently married and came west.
According to family lore my father, donald gordon macdougall was born in a covered wagon in cayley, alberta on their way to work in the mascot gold mine in keremeos, bc. So far i have been unable to locate either my grandmothers name or the location of alex & flora. note how they used the mothers maiden name as alex's second name. I am only too pleased to be of assistance and hope you may be able to assist me.  thank you for the time, Gordon Wallace MacDougall.

in 1841 census there is a Hector app aged 3
Kilninian & Kilmore Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 9 Page: 6
Address: Glanuggary. 
His parents being and Allan and Flora MacDougall approx. ages 35 He a farmer  with 8 children 1 - 15 years.   Ages often wrong in 1841
BAILEY    (HAM/Portsmouth Portsea/1800s);
CORMACK    (CAI/Watten Wick/fam of Magnus C & Jean Taylor m 1739);
CORMACK    (DUR/Sunderland area 1800s/orig from CAI, SCT, 1700s);
JOHNSTON    (CAI/../All);
JOHNSTON    (ARL/Kirn Dunoon/circa 1800 - onwards);
JOHNSTON    (ELN/Prestonpans Tranent/fam of William Johnston Janet Forman);
MCDOUGAL     (ARL/MULL/pre1800 Neil McDougall Effy McPhail);
MCDOUGALL    (INV/Laggan/pre 1800 in Mull Argyll then INV etc);
MORE    (CAI/Wick Sarclet Thurso Orkney/1600

Offline Tricia MORE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 June 13 13:59 BST (UK) »

in 1841 census there is a Hector app aged 3
Kilninian & Kilmore Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 9 Page: 6
Address: Glanuggary. 
His parents being and Allan and Flora MacDougall approx. ages 35 He a farmer  with 8 children 1 - 15 years.
Marriage: Kilninnian & Kilmore marriage: 4 February 1823    Allan McDougall and Flory Paterson
http://www.scottish-places.info/parishes/parmap454.html
Children: Catherine  (bap) 22 Nov 1823  -   
  John  (bap) 11 Jun 1825  -   
  Anne  (bap) 7 Sep 1827  -   
  Archibald  (bir) abt 1833  -   
  Neil  (bir) abt 1835  -   
  Hector  (bir) abt 1838  -   
  Mary  (bir) abt 1839  -   
  Coll  (bir) abt 1840 
1851 this family were still on MULL. Same Address Allan 58? Flory 50? (ages in 1841 often wrong) with children Anne Neil Hector Mary Coll.
Just realised I did some research on this family a while back.
BAILEY    (HAM/Portsmouth Portsea/1800s);
CORMACK    (CAI/Watten Wick/fam of Magnus C & Jean Taylor m 1739);
CORMACK    (DUR/Sunderland area 1800s/orig from CAI, SCT, 1700s);
JOHNSTON    (CAI/../All);
JOHNSTON    (ARL/Kirn Dunoon/circa 1800 - onwards);
JOHNSTON    (ELN/Prestonpans Tranent/fam of William Johnston Janet Forman);
MCDOUGAL     (ARL/MULL/pre1800 Neil McDougall Effy McPhail);
MCDOUGALL    (INV/Laggan/pre 1800 in Mull Argyll then INV etc);
MORE    (CAI/Wick Sarclet Thurso Orkney/1600

Offline oldster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 June 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
Tricia, Your info is much appreciated. Please note I was in error on the use of Patterson as a second given name, I said Alex but meant Hector. Also interesting that he used most of his fathers choices of names with his offspring. Were they a trifle short of imagination? Any how I am now up to five generations so I better get busy filling them out (thanks to you).
Gordon W. MacDougall

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 May 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

Not lack of imagination, but actually a deliberate choice of given names in keeping with the traditional Scottish naming pattern. It existed well into the 20th century but is mostly gone now. It is very helpful in guessing the names of the previous generations.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=551&561

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull