Author Topic: John Snowden  (Read 5727 times)

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Snowden
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 November 06 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message. My Snowdens go back to the South/Snowden problem in Worksop in 1851/61. After that the Snowdens were living in Carlton in Lindrick, Harthill and Killamarsh and my grandfather then moved to Rutland in 1901. We may have connections of course.

Offline rcow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have a HANNAH SNOWDEN c1858 - 1929 born in Shireoaks Nottingham.

She marries a JOHN WHITHAM in Halifax and I can trace her forward in Todmorden. My linkage is through the WHITHAM line that my sister married into.

I am interested in the tracing her parents and siblings. The earlier reference in the posts gives a possible link in the 1961 Census, but I am unable to find this.

I know the link is old but does anyone have further info or a link.

Robert...

Offline diden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Your Hannah Snowden may well be the same as the one  on my posts several years ago.
I have her as daughter of John Snowden ( c 1819-1889) and Jane Godson (1828-1899) who seemed to have changed their name to South.
Married as South In 1840. Changed to Snowden, back to South  snd then to Snowden.
See the 1851 census when living in Worksop.
Siblings William Bn1844 mary Bn 1845 Elizabeth Bn 1846 Ann 1847 george 1849 Sarah 1854 Emma 1858 & John 1860.
As the name change is so complicated I can’t trace John South/Snowden Back further but Jane’s ancestors go back to 1700s.
I’m away from home without access to my research so if I can be if any more help let me know.