Author Topic: Morgan Thomas - Bedlinog  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Thomas - Bedlinog
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
Great stuff Cas,
     That's certainly my man in 1841; I had Ann born at Bedwellty (from the 1851), but that may have been the registration district for Gelligaer at the time. (It's rounded down to the nearest five by the way!).
    I don't think that's our Margaret's death, though. She'd only have been 63 or 64 in 1882.
    That's a fair bit for me to work on tomorrow, though - for now, the pub quiz calls!
    Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Good luck then

Cas ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 August 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
I've now found that the 1841 Census record was at Pant y Wain (not the strange Pant a Bain), but where was it? The Census has it in the Brithdir district, and whether it was a street or a village it had a fair number of inhabitants, but a study of maps old and new has yet to find any trace of it - nor of the names near it in the Census. Any ideas?
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 August 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth
Have a look at the Wales general board,
Subject
Pantywaun village near Dowlais
Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 August 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
According to Genuki it is in Gelligaer, it says see Gelligaer, so it must still be within the surrounding area.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Parishes.html#P

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 August 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth hope the links work, Pant-Y-Waun cottages are in the top right. If not, (been having trouble loading) just put Bedwellty in the search engine.  The Grid Ref is: 316500,200500

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/servlets/DirectMap2?easting=315200&northing=201900&county=10glamo481

Hope this helps

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 August 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts - we may have a breakthrough!
    Sorry Cas, it's Penywaun on the map near Bedwellty, not Pantywaun; but the thread on the Wales general board does seem to deal with the right place; it is big enough to contain the number of families in the 1841 Census and is also near to Blaen Carno, which is in the same Census district. Thanks Rhys.
    What a pity it was all demolished to make way for an opencast mine - still, at least I know that before wasting my time going looking for it!
    Thanks again, Gareth

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 September 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
I've found out a bit more about Morgan Thomas - while he was a mere collier living at Pantywaun in 1841, he moved to run Coly Isaf around 1843/4 (between the births of his second and third children, if their birthplaces are correct on the census).
Now I've discovered that he had the vote by the 1869 electoral roll (maybe earlier, that was the one I saw while looking for someone else), qualifying not as occupier of Coly Isaf, but as owner of freehold houses at Pantywaun.
This seems to be a pretty substantial improvement in his financial circumstances. Did he win the Victorian lottery?
    Gareth

Offline Taffy11

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 September 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I also had family that run coly isaf farm in 1841 thomas and Ann Williams nee edwards I’m still trying to find more info on them thank you