Author Topic: Mossend Swifts Football Club  (Read 22949 times)

Offline helpmaboab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mossend Swifts Football Club
« on: Wednesday 23 August 06 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, looking for any information on the Mossend Swifts Football Club. Would love to see a copy of a team photo, my gt grandfather used to play for them.

Offline juniorhistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mossend Swifts Football Club
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 March 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
There were actually 3 football teams called Mossend Swifts.

The first team were around from 1879 - 1903. They were a SENIOR football team from West Calder in West Lothian, Scotland. Senior meaning that they were the same level as Rangers and Celtic of today. They played at a football ground called Mossend Park.

The second were a JUNIOR team around for one season in 1898-99. Junior football is the level below Senior football and is a semi professional level, nothing to do with age.

The last team of that name were around from 1932-34 and agin were a Senior team entering minor senior tournaments and played in the Edinburgh & district league.

I will try and search for some photos but am not hopeful.

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello juniorhistory,

There was a team photograph of Mossend Swifts taken about 1888 - this was stated at the end of a match report in the West Lothian courier/Midlothian Advertiser? following a Cup Final they had played in. I don't have the exact details to hand at the moment but I do have copies of the match reports at home of their cup finals played in the 1880's. I'd love to see a copy of this photo as five of my Great-Grandmothers brothers played for the Swifts, the Ellis brothers. The library in West Calder does not appear to have a copy although I have been told one of the pubs in West Calder used to have a copy hanging behind the bar - maybe it still does.

Canisp
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline Willison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
The library in West Calder does not appear to have a copy although I have been told one of the pubs in West Calder used to have a copy hanging behind the bar - maybe it still does.

Canisp

One way to find out Canisp, let's do a pub-crawl of West Calder....... purely for research purposes of course!  8)
Willison and Pattison (in Glasgow) 1800s on, Kinnes (Perthshire 1600s-1700s & Fife 1800s), Mathieson (Glasgow, Cambuslang, Paisley)

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 July 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Good idea, why not  ;D
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 July 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline WLDIAMOND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Have just finished football book on West Lothian senior teams, hopefully available early next year, includes Mossend Swifts, have details of some matches, but also looking for photos.

pm for more details

Offline helpmaboab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 October 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all replies, nice to know people are interested, I'll keep looking and post anything I find, but at the moment I haven't turned up much. 

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 November 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mossend Swifts searchers

don't know if this will help (no photos - sorry) but this is an Extract from "Cauther Thoughts", and is in the period of the 1920's.   The initial paragraphs are Dick Wilson's memories, the additions are from Bill Calder, my Uncle Bill, who was an apprentice Report with the Midlothian Advertiser at that time. 

cheers ... Meg

Dick Wilson:-

The football teams operating at that time were West Calder Hearts, Mossend Burnvale, West Calder I.O.R. and West Calder Juniors.  A few years later Mossend and Hermand operated 2 teams each in the Lothian Amateur League, with Woodmuir, Seafield, Addiewell, Loganlea, Newpark and Tarbrax also represented.  Mossend were admitted to the 3rd division which they duly won.  They continued and won the second division, and the following season were 3rd in the first division.  Tom Boyd, George Boyd, Johnnie Bird, Fred Greig, Tod, Bob Reid, Dodger Fairley, Jimmie Eady, Billy Rutherford and Harry Walters, being some of their players. 

Hermand 2nd team was almost wholly comprised of Girdwoods.  A few of the first team players were Jim Martin, Gongie Paterson, Tom Borland, Jackie Hastie, Jimsie Forrester, and Will Crookstone.  The latter received a broken leg during a match, as did Hastie (Newpark) against Mossend and Quin,  West Calder Juniors against Port Edgar.

One evening match which took place at Hermand was against Addiewell.  At the dancing the previous week, Jock Young (roadman) and Corrigan of Addiewell had come to blows, and the spectators all realised that the stage was set for a further confrontation.,  Sure enough the battle commenced, and when I arrived on the scene of the conflict, Jock had a hand inside each side of the others mouth, and was pulling with all his strength, which was considerable.  All the while the crowd were shouting “Give us a fair fight”.  I dread to think what would have happened if they had been allowed to continue.

NB by William Calder.

There was no such football team as Mossend Burnvale.  (That was a cricket team captained by Tom Boyd).  Nor can I recollect the I.O.R. running a team.  The football team was known as Mossend Swifts and they played in top class football until they became defunct before the first war. 

In the 1920’s and 1930’s the Mossend Amateurs operated in the Lothian Amateur League and were very successful.  Their chairman was Wattie Ross and the Secretary Billy Rutherford.  At that period every little row of homes had their football team.  As a reporter I have had to go to Mossend, send off the report of the first half to the ‘News’ and ‘Dispatch’, race up the ‘loop’ line and through Parkhead Farm to Hermand, get what was happening there, sprint back to Burngrange for the end of the junior game, and hand the results in to the office for transmission to all Scottish papers, for that I sometimes, got one shilling!

West Calder Juniors were then quite a decent team and most of the players were local lads.  I can recall seeing Tam Borland, who was captain and left back of the side, turning up at Burngrange Park in his pit clothes having worked the 6 - 1 shift in ‘West Mains’.

In junior football at that time the teams were raised locally and consequently the partisanship was intense.  Who, for instance could ever forget seeing Jock Balloch gallop from his own goal mouth the whole length of the pitch to floor with one mighty blow an opposing fullback who had badly fouled Cauther’s outside right (Anderson from Seafield).  This incident occurred in a Scottish Cup Tie at Blackburn in the days before buses had reached West Calder, when at least 80 per cent of  he village males waked every step of the way to support their team. 

Teams which appeared at Burngrange included Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, Armston Rangers, Ormiston Primrose, Loanhead Mayflower, Tranent Juniors, Wemyss Athletic, Musselburgh Bruntonians, Dalkeith Thistle, Easthouses Lily, Portobello Thistle, and, of course, Edinburgh Emmett against whom the aforementioned Jim Balloch scored a really fantastic goal.  His playing was more brawn than brain and on this occasion he belted a clearance from the Burngrange Farm end and from about the eighteen yards line.  As there was, as usual, a strong west wind blowing the ball got caught up in a sort of slip stream and finished up in the back of the Emmett net without touching a soul.   The goal keeper was Scotlands’ current international junior number one and he just stood transfixed.

Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.