Author Topic: what happened to Caroline Matilda  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to Caroline Matilda
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 September 06 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not using Firefox.
Just tried the right click and nothing as you described came up.
It is baffling as I can see some (although non on this posting).
I think I am going to have to seek the advice of my brother who is a bit of a whizz on PCs

Hey ho at least i can still read everything  ;D

Thanks for the advice though  ;)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 September 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

Can I assume you are using Internet Explorer?

If you right click on the I.E. icon on your desktop and then click on the Privacy tab.

What level of scurity is it currently set at?

If you drag the slider bar down to low does it make any difference?

I suspect something is preventing certain objects downloading to your Temporary Internet Files folder.

downside

PS I just made a discovery when I looked in the Temporary Internet Files folder on my PC.  Your avatar is not listed for some reason.  If you look at this folder you should observe some index files followed followed by an Internet Address:

index  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?acion=dlattach;id=6577;type=avatar (Emmeline)
index  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?acion=dlattach;id=19898;type=avatar (Gadget)
index  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?acion=dlattach;id=9204;type=avatar (downside)

So your one 6904, which is visible to me and others is visible but missing from the folder.

Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 September 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

In order to eliminate the possibility that your anitvirus program might be causing a problem:

1) Close down your browser.
2) Disable your anitvirus program.  If there is a little icon sitting in your system tray on the bottom right hand side of the task bar you should be able to right click it and select Disable.
3) Start up your browser again and go to rootschat and see if you can see everyones avatars.

downside

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 03 September 06 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Downside

I have done what you suggested and I have found it is my privacy setting on McAfee.... it is disabled and now I can see me and everyonelse. YIPEEEE!

Don't know what will happen with it diasbled though as I don't actually know what is supposed to do in the first place  :-\ .... will read up on it  :D

Thanks a million   :-*

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 September 06 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

At least we have finally found the culprit.  There is safe, and there is too safe so that nothing works!

You are going to have to look at the settings in McAfee and decide what the problem is.  It might be treating an avatar as though it is a popup and therefore blocking it.  I guess there will be a preferences section that is adjustable?  There must be options on some of the menus that deal with certain file types?

Maybe there is a McAfee expert out there who can help.

Unfortunately I use Norton so I can't help you with this one.

Good luck.

downside

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 September 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
HI
Oh despair!! You have all disappeared again  :'(
Too late now to think about why??? I will tackle it again tomorrow. I am beginning to think it may be my SP????

Thanks for all your help though... I just wish that I was a bit more teckkie with computers

Cal  :-\

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 September 06 08:48 BST (UK) »
Quote from: me-Aug26th
If you have Norton installed or other Firewall stuff - see what its settings are for adverts and/or privacy - there may be something in the URL for the Pics thats upsetting it ? 

Whatever you changed may not have been saved permanently ? Not familiar with McAfee - so twill be interesting to see what options you find in the help topics.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 September 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

When you say McAfee, what product have you actually got?

http://www.mcafeestore.com/dr/v2/ec_dynamic.main?sp=1&pn=28&sid=39695&CID=256555

Is it that all-in-one Internet Secutiry Suite?

The way your system is reacting sounds looks like a firewall thing rather than an antivirus thing.  When you view a webpage objects are downloaded to your local drive:

c:\Temporary Internet Files

I can't see why antivirus software would prevent that happening.

If you go to Start->Search->For FIles or Folders

Click on All Files or Folders.

Enter: INDEX as the file name.

then click on advanced so that your can search for text in the file.

A word or phrase in file: avatar

and then click: search

This should result in finding whether avatars have successfully download to your local internet cache or not. 

If they are not there, then something is blocking them and I reckon it must be a firewall.

downside

PS they say they offer online support at their website:

Real people. Real help. For free.Our experts are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week via Internet chat. www.mcafeehelp.com

Apparently they are not ROBOTS  :)

I'd ask them for your money back as it doesn't actually prevent all avatars being loaded, if that is what its supposed to be what it is doing.  ;)

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 September 06 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

Oh dear, I read this thread yesterday.  I also have McAfee and could see all the avatars.  I have no tech knowledge whatsoever but decided to have a look, saw the privacy service was disabled so I enabled it and all the avatars disappeared.  Disabled it and they reappeared after clicking 'refresh'.

Problem is each time I start up now I have to go through the rigamarole of signing in, disabling privacy etc.  Any idea how I disable it permanently?  Each time I start up it's enabled again.  I'm the only one who uses the computer so I don't need the hassle of signing in.

My McAfee deals with spam and runs a virus check automatically so I've had no problems there.

Any ideas welcome.

Sheila

EDIT - Problem solved.

Cal - If you haven't sorted the problem let me know.  I can now see Caroline Matilda with privacy enabled.
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright