Author Topic: what happened to Caroline Matilda  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to Caroline Matilda
« Reply #36 on: Monday 04 September 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
Sheila,Downside,ScRoppers
you are all stars.

Tomorrow (or the day after .. I have a teenager so time on here is a battle) I will sit down and twiddle and search as to why this is happening using the hints you have provided.  :-*

I had upgraded to the all singing all dancing kill anything that may want to get on your PC package with McAfee... & I rarely do sitting down and reading instructions but this is forcing me to do so  ;D

I have just disabled Privacy and can see everyone. But I have also set the 'allow' for RC earlier... it was a case of yes I can see you and oh no I can't now !  >:(

I will be back to let you know what I have discovered
Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 04 September 06 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal

Try this:

Leave Privacy enabled.

Right click McAfee icon at bottom right of screen

Choose PRIVACY SERVICE - OPTIONS - BLOCK INFO TAB (uncheck the tick box Block info on this computer)

Repeat the above but choose the BLOCK ADS TAB (uncheck the tick box Block Ads on this computer)

Click APPLY.

It works for me.

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
There have been lots of topics on this subject,and it has never really been solved.My dad's photo went missing(then came back) so many times,along with other members photo.That in the end i changed it,the strange thing was/is that Bob can see them in Germany when we cant and vice-versa. One day it dawned on me that the photo's that went A.W.O.L were the ones that i transfered to rootschat from my computer.To get the rootschat address.Then put that photo with that address on my profile.The ones i uploaded straight from my computer never disappeared.That still doesn't solve the small problem.I do think it is the way photo's are saved in the first place though so i wouldn't think it is a tecky problem.Thats just my opinion though ;D

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 22:39 BST (UK) »
Still can't see most folk but I have now learnt to live with it!!  ::)
Have had huge probs with the PC so I am just grateful to be here! I had a week where I was a mad woman with no access to anything :o

Thank you for all your help trying to get me fully seeing all

Cal  8)

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 29 September 06 11:59 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure this is caused by using .bmp images.  They are very big files when compared to others (like .jpg .gif or .png).

I've attached her in png and gif format.  . to your computer and then upload it as your avatar.

In comparision:

The avatar in bmp format: 70.37KB
The avatar in png format: 43.53 KB
The avatar in gif format: 21.94 KB

Personally I'd go for the png (gif files can lose a bit of quality)

Andrew

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 29 September 06 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help

I have followed Sheilas handy hint and I can see you all and have loaded the png photo of my Caroline Matilda and I can see all of her too

I am back folks thanks to you all

:-*

Offline w105uk aka Margi :-)

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • is back from hols :-( and back at work :-(
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 14 May 07 15:58 BST (UK) »
Its def. something to do with McAfee
I have just renewed and upgraded and have the same problems......
 ;D ;D
Brook,Suffolk, London,Nottingham. <br />Goodchild, Suffolk<br />Boreham,Suffolk<br />Youngman, Suffolk, Australia<br />Day, Suffolk<br />Beckett, Suffolk<br />Last, Suffolk

Offline w105uk aka Margi :-)

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • is back from hols :-( and back at work :-(
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 14 May 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
have just followed Sheila's advice
and have also added Roots to my allow list and its working
we'll have to wait and see what happens if i restart comp  ;) ;)

all singing/all dancing is fine for the bugs but not for what i still want to see  ::) ::)
Brook,Suffolk, London,Nottingham. <br />Goodchild, Suffolk<br />Boreham,Suffolk<br />Youngman, Suffolk, Australia<br />Day, Suffolk<br />Beckett, Suffolk<br />Last, Suffolk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 14 May 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
So can you see us all now Margi ??
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cal  8)