Author Topic: Removal of Orphans  (Read 630 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Removal of Orphans
« on: Thursday 24 August 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
I am looking for an ancestor, William Bowyer/Boyer who married Rachel Giles in 1790 in Easthampstead.  There are Bowyer/Boyers in Easthampstead back to the 1500s but the only possible candidate I can find was born in 1761 son of John and Elizabeth Boyer.  Bingo I hear you say!

There is however a problem  isn't there always.

In 1769 according to the parish records for Easthampstead of which I have a copy, William and his three brothers John age 12, Thomas age 10 and James age 4 were removed from Easthampstead to East Woodhay in the County of Southampton/Hamps following the death of their parents.

Now my questions are;

1. Why were the children sent to East Woodhay
2.  Is it likely that William subsequently returned to Easthampstead.
3.  How can I find out more!

There is no record of the marriage of Elizabeth and John Boyer in the Easthampstead records or any of the surrounding parishes other than a possible in Wokingham between John Boyer otp and Elizabeth Williams of Easthampstead by licence, trouble is it took place in 1765 nine years after the baptism of their first child.

Any help would be much appreciated - I would love to claim William and his parents as my ancestors but at the moment feel I am on very unsure grounds!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)