Author Topic: St Helier - ELIAS KENDALL - Tragic death  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Hi-TowerUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Helier - ELIAS KENDALL - Tragic death
« on: Thursday 24 August 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have a hand-written transcript of an article in the Jersey Times dated April 23rd 1896 in which Elias Charles Kendall (aged 33) was killed in a tragic accident at a sawmill. There was a fairly long and descriptive text detailing the events surrounding the accident which occurred whilst he was employed as a lathe-cutter at Messrs Huchin & Sons saw mills on The Esplanade.

3 days after the accident, there was an inquest and this attracted a full page report in the newspaper.

Elias came originally from Plymouth, Devon and was living at Grandion? Cottages, Le rue, St Aubins Road. He left a wife and 6 children. It is reported that the townsfolk raised a fund for his widow, Elizabeth Ann Kendall, nee Roberts.

I cannot find any confirmation of his address and the names of his family or what happened to his widow (sorry to ask so much!). I would dearly like to get a copy of the original newspaper article(s) as well, if that is possible. Elias was my wife's great-uncle and she would be delighted if we can fill in this part of her ancestry. I am more than happy to reimburse any costs.

Thanks in advance
Roger & Linda

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Re: St Helier - ELIAS KENDALL - Tragic death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Roger and Linda,
So glad you found this wonderful site and this is to let you know  I will be happy to try and find the original article for you. Just give me a little time and I will get back to let you know if I have been sucessful.

Regards

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk