Author Topic: SANDERSON marriage c1797  (Read 4111 times)

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
SANDERSON marriage c1797
« on: Thursday 24 August 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Could SKS confirm  a marriage for John Sanderson of Darfield to Elizabeth (Marsden?) in 1797 please?

They went on to have about 14 children.

I can't find Elizabeth although there are Marsdens around in this area of Yorkshire. I think my original reference for the marriage may have come from a Sanderson Family Book, but I  failed to actually take a note and the book is not available at present.

Many thanks

Pete

Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SANDERSON marriage c1797
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 07 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete

I'm in amongst these Sandersons, staring with John Sanderson of Little Houghton, Darfield and Elizabeth Rich who married 20 July 1769 at Cawthorne by Barnsley. They had a son John, christened 7 July 1770 at Darfield. Any help?

And what or who is the 'Sanderson Family Book' and why is it 'unavailable at the moment.' I'm intrigued!

Take care

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tickle

We are certainly talking about the same group of Sandersons. They form part of my mother in laws tree. She is descended from Thomas Sanderson b 1772, a brother of  John, son of John and Elizabeth Rich.

The 'Sanderson Family Book' is the posh name for a notebook written by Caroline Eliza Sanderson, b1841 the granddaughter of Thomas above which contains some family records. I can't actually remember why it was unavailable in Aug last year but I have it by me now! It does have a mention of Elizabeth Marsden  I was enquiring about in it.

What's your Sanderson interest? Sounds as if you may be interested in 'Rev John Sanderson' perhaps?

Do get back

Pete 

Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete

Sorry to be tardy getting back to you. Rootschat was down for a time yesterday and I sort of gave up!

Sandersons aren't my direct line but I have an interest in the family. My 2x great aunt was Dorinthea Oldham who married the Rev Canon Robert Edward Sanderson. Her father, John Oldham, was my 3x great grandfather. I'm trying to track down a pair of Oldham family portraits which seem to have descended through the Sandersons although nobody seems to know where they are at present. In getting involved with this and the family I have also taken on the back history as well, as I seem to be the one with the time and inclination to do it! You know how it is?!

So that's where I am. I'm in touch with direct descendants of the Sandersons, so if you would like a few cousins I can supply those as well!

So the line goes through Thomas Sanderson 1772-1817 who married his cousin Jane, whose ancestry I don't have, Rev Thomas 1801-68 who married Emily and Eliza Baddeley, (one after the other, not together,) and their son Rev Canon Robert 1828-1913 as aforesaid.

Let me know how you fit in please.

Take care

John (Tickle) - don't ask!
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 07 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for this

I am just about to go out of the door on a trip to Holland.
Might be back mid week overnight but it is unlikely to be before the weekend before I can reply at length

Best wishes

Pete
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 07 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I haven't been able to give too much time to the Sandersons so far this weekend. I got a lot of new information about some of my own family so I've been concentrating on that.

To keep the pot boiling I can tell you quickly a little about my mother in law's ancestors.

Starting off again where we left off earlier in the week.

Thos. Sanderson b 1772 married his cousin Grace Jane Sanderson (Grace on marriage record) in 1799 at Darfield.

They had 9 children,(5 daus. &  4 sons) one of whom was Thomas b 1801 Wellingborough. He went on to marry
   1) Emily Baddeley in 1824  having 2 sons Robert Edward & Charles 

2) Eliza Baddeley in 1835 having 5 daus. and one son. The 4th dau. was Caroline Eliza    b 1841 in Wellingborough.

Caroline Eliza married a first cousin Alexander Charles Baddeley Moffatt in Lewes, Sussex in 1869. They had 7 sons and one dau. The 5th son  was Hugh Edmund Moffatt b 1877 at Lewisham.

Hugh Edmund was a railway civil engineer and he married Lucy Ann Neva Hudson in Uruguay in 1909 They had 4 daus. all born in Argentina. The youngest and only living dau. is my mother in law.

I have spent a little time tonight looking into Grace Jane Sanderson  but found that I haven't got her family details in my database. I looked at the Sanderson Family Book and found the description of her descent was not clear zig-zaggging all over about 20 pages! I have a rough tree plotted out but I'm not convinced it is totally correct. She MAY be the child of the second marriage of a Thomas Sanderson who married 1) Catherine Richardson and 2) Elizabeth Richardson (no relation to spouse 1). As I say things are a bit confused and need checking further.

I'm most interested that you are a relation of Dorinthea Oldham. I've always been interested in her name since I first came across it. Caroline Eliza Sanderson wrote, in her family book,  of Dorinthea ...." Lady Chapel Screen in St Michael's, Brighton, put up in her name".
"Just a perfect woman"  ".... interred with her son Charley in Lancing churchyard". Does this tie in with what you know of her?? All I know of her father, again according to Caroline Eliza is that at time of daughter Dorinthea's wedding John was living at Pernambuco, Brazil. I gather there was another daughter Elenora?

I'm afraid I've never heard of the Oldham portraits via mother in law.

Well it's getting near bed time so I'll end here.

Best wishes

Pete
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete

Thanks for getting back to me. Hope you're rested after your travelling week!

I have Caroline Eliza as daughter of Thomas Sanderson and Eliza Baddeley born Dec qtr 1841 at Great Doddington, Northants which ties in to what you have so I'm glad we're on the same wavelength.

Presumably the surviving daughter was Phoebe born 1911 who married Reginald Williams. You must be related then to Jaqueline Williams born 1946 who I was nattering to on the phone a few months back! Small world. She supplied simlar details to you, so presumably she has had access to the same book. She also quoted Caroline on Dorinthea.

Dorinthea Phelps Oldham was the youngest of 5 daughters and one son of John Oldham and Maria Elsworth who were married in New York in 1811. Dorinthea was born in New Orleans in 1827. The oldest Anna Maria Oldham born 1813 New York married James Ryder of Liverpool in Pernambuco c 1832. They are my direct ancestors. Sarah Elsworth Oldham born 1817 married Augustus Syney Corbett in Pernambuco c 1836. Eleanor oldham born 1819 New York married Edward Comber of Liverpool in Pernambuco 3 March 1837. Thomas Oldham b&d 1821 New York. Harriet Louisiana Oldham born c 1822 New Orleans married Joseph Younghusband in Liverpool St Bride, 8 May 1844. The Oldhams go back to Lancashire - Wigan Upholland area back to 1706 so far, the Elsworths and their ancestors to Holland and England in the 16th to 17th centuries, so there is a lot more information there if you want it.

You and I must be cousins but without the last couple of bits of the jigsaw I'm not exactly sure how.

Let me know how much info you want and I'll gladly let you have it. My direct email is denscanisatyahoodotcodotuk.

Take care

John
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 07 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again John

Thanks for the latest. It has indeed been very pleasant not doing much this weekend after the travels of the week!

Amused to hear that you have been in touch with Jacqueline Williams. She hasn't said she has become active in family history! Infact I am not related to any of the Sandersons other than by marriage (now divorced!). My Mother in Law is Phoebe's youngest sister Penelope. Phoebe died in 2004.

Thanks for the detail on the Oldhams I will add it to my dataset if that's OK?  I only knew of Dorithinea and Eleanor  due to the Sanderson/Comber connections.

I'm making a little progress with Grace Jane Sanderson but I still haven't got there yet. You mentioned you had been in touch with some Sandersons. Are any of them working on their trees in this area? If so it might be useful if I could check a couple of points with them if you could provide contact details please.

I must go and be domestic for a while now. I will contact you directly when/if I crack Grace Jane. Don't forget the personal message option on Rootschat. It works well. Infact I'll send you one shortly.

Will be in touch again soon.

Pete

Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK

Offline Archivist_47

• :
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd make contact as I too am related tenuously.
Gordon, Foster, Gorrill