Author Topic: a brick wall to be cleared  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
a brick wall to be cleared
« on: Tuesday 29 August 06 06:38 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth, niece of Hannah Cross of Colchester. I know Elizabeth's maiden name was most likely either Cross, Jackson, Bland or Clark. these are the surnames and married names of her aunts and uncles and parents. I also know that Elizabeth m. a Mr. Cooper.
would some kind soul please check marriage records for Essex and tell me if they can find a marriage for this couple. I am 110 percent certain of the details I've just written, I can prove those, but I am almost as uncertain as to who and when and where Elizabeth m., as well as what her maiden name is.
Hannah Cross left one of those goldmine wills that some spinsters leave, mentioning many relatives and tieing together a lot of loose ends-but not the loose end regarding her niece Elizabeth!
I have Elizabeth's ancestry back quite a ways, and some of her descendants forward quite a ways, but I don't have the one thing to tie it all together-her maiden name...and the rest of what I'm missing, gravy compaired to that, her husband's given name and when and where they m.-abt 1815, Colchester, I believe...but they don't show up in Pallotts-or is that Piggotts-sorry, the brain just shut down after another stifling hot day...need a bite to eat....
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: a brick wall to be cleared
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 12:00 BST (UK) »
Why not try Jack Baxter's Essex Marriage Index - see http://www.esfh.org.uk/Baxter_Indexes/Baxter%20indexes.htm

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 03:05 BST (UK) »
thank you. hughar, I'm wondering if I've heard of this before-too many Baxter's in my world, I'm afraid.
anyway, unless he accepts paypal, I'm unable to use his services-I'm in the states, and money exchange is difficult for me except through paypal.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 09:06 BST (UK) »
Jack Baxter's entry says that he will accept an IRC (International reply Coupon).
Go to http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc3_007.html and look at section 372.  It's easy, and it works.
Regards.