Author Topic: Anyone get as far as me without using Record offices  (Read 7277 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get as far as me without using Record offices
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 31 August 06 09:05 BST (UK) »
It's alright for those of you on the right continent, but for us on the other side of the world, visiting the local record office and handling all those lovely old documents is just a pipe dream.

Luckily, we have lovely Rootschatters in the right spots, ready and waiting for an excuse to get down the record office and photograph our obscure trial reports, parish registers and whatnot!  :)

I started out doing my tree in the early 90s, at my local genealogy group, but their material was limited and it was very difficult to track back any distance.  They certainly didn't have access to any nice local snippets concerning my widely disparate Scottish, English and Irish ancestors  :'(  The internet has been a real godsend, for me at least (taking into account all the usual problems with transcriptions etc)

Prue

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 August 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Only started doing my tree this year and had my first experience of my looking at original old documents when looking at poor law applications of a couple of people in the Mitchell last week. Was good to get a look at actual documents as all the parish registers I've had a look at have been on microfilm.
Done the majority of my searching on the internet but have been looking at copies of the parish registers when I can.
Yet to discover any wills yet.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 August 06 11:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting thread :)

I haven't found any wills yet, don't think my Ag labs had anything to leave, but have been to local records office and I have to say I feel very humble when I read my rellies signatures etc.  Also a lot of my mum's branches all came from Wilton and are all buried in the churchyard, I was amazed to find the records still in the church as graveyard not yet full, so had the pleasure of holding the books and reading the vicars comments!

The material I have found on the net has shown me the way to the records office and Fh centres.

Jane

LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 31 August 06 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Stonechat

I'm slightly confused.  How did you acquire all this information?

What is the difference between a History Centre and a Records Office?

Surely they both hold collections of records?

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 August 06 12:23 BST (UK) »
Fortunately for me one line of my partners tree are from Swansea and we live 15 miles away so can visit the Family History Centre. The wealth of info is amazing and I'm addicted to looking at the old documents. I recently looked through a load of coroners reports for the family, lovely to see the old signatures. Can't wait to go for hols in Yorkshire to see some of mine "in the flesh"

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 31 August 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
This thread as shown me why I wont believe records on the net.  How can anyone get back to 1600 just using the net.  How do you know that the name you have added is in fact the corect name.  Whilst I commend you in the work you have done it is in my experience imperative that you view the original sources.  Lets not forget that the IGI doesnt have every church and every person recorded.  Some of the transcripts are of the BT's which have people missing from the PR's and include some forgotten in the PR's.  Wills, only the PCC wills are available online which for those of us with Ag Labs is no good.  Yes Ag Labs do leave wills and or admons which in some cases still leave a detailed view of what they had even if it doesnt add to the tree.  Then what about petty and quarter session transcripts.  Bastards at one time were recorded in these and the fathers name sometimes listed.  Enclousre awards and maps.  These can show why a once tenant farmer suddenly stopped farming and moved into another profession.

People have already mentioned signatures etc.  It was through a signature I proved a connection on my tree.  It was also because of a signature I found that my 3rd x great grandmother was only 15 at marriage although pretending to be 18 ( she was with child).

Within my WYATT surname interest I have come across many Americans who believe they descend off the Allington Castle lot Haute and Jane to be precise ancd all because they have a name and date that matches one book published years ago in the US.  In fact I cant think of one American who doesn't claim that descent yet I know of at least 3 WYATT's or mine that went to the US.  Again records offices and other archival places would prove these theories.

Sorry for ranting but online records are not perfect and never will be. Originals should be checked.  Sources quoted and if you cant quote sources don't expect me to accept your work.  Finally I should say that the LDS Fam ily History Centres do in my eye equate to archives although with limited items

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 31 August 06 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

You just highlighted a problem I have, I cannot find a reference to any wills left by any of my ancestors. I've been looking on the National Archives etc sites. I realise they must be somewhere but where?  ::)

There were wheelwrights and coachbuilders, metal workers and black smiths and smattering of general labourer's and of course ag labs, not forgetting a pauper or two.

Can you tell me where I should be looking, I'm sure one of them must have documented what they had, even if it was their favourite beer tankard.

Pipkim  :)
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 August 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
Rob

This highlights why the FRC and Kew merging is not a good idea as it could be the beginning of something some of us don't want!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 31 August 06 14:21 BST (UK) »
So what exactly is a record?

An event recorded by officials?

The place you obtain a 'record' may not be called a Records Office but in my opinion even a church or rectory containing registers is a Records Office as it contains records.  Gravestones are another matter.  :)

If an Internet site displays an original image of something then I beleive that is an official record.  If you went to a records office and viewed the same image on microfiche then all you are doing is confirming the existence of that document.  It is not always possible to view the actual registers so you have no choice but to view them on microfiche. Do you believe microfiche images are acceptable or do you insist on seeing the real thing?

You can interview relatives and they may supply anecdotal evidence about certain events but these should always be taken with a pinch of salt as they may turn out to inaccurate or wrong.

The further back you go the harder it gets to find detailed information and it is more difficult to cross-check records.  I certainly take any information going back before 1800 with a pinch of salt.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk