Author Topic: Our Ancestors #2  (Read 24205 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 July 06 01:45 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Our lot were probably on the same train knowing our luck lol

Will we ever find out?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 July 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Sharpie - You made a lovely job of colouring the wedding photo. I love the family group - seeing who resembles who.

Gadget - Rivers Meet is such a happy photo. I still say that Richmal Crompton used you as the model for Elizabeth in the Just William stories. Were you a screamer though ? !

Hello Steve - I missed you.

Pentio - Yes, I was a Winston Churchill baby. My mother always told the story of how when she was in Morecambe with her sisters she went out and bought me a frilly bonnet but when she put it on me her sisters laughed and laughed so much at the sight ( must have looked like a suet pudding) that she became very irate and for evermore I was put into a beret !

Ellen - Clara Jackson was beautiful - I love the assortment of buttons, tassels, loops etc on her dress.

Indie - Thank you for Carrie Budd. Mr Indi's album is filled with gems.
Weston Super mare brought back memories of my own coat (can't find photo at the moment) - do you remember T/Bar shoes with crepe soles and how about a Liberty bodice ?  My pet hate when a kid was woollen gloves - always felt so knobby at end of the fingers. My poor mother would be blowing into them on a cold winter's morning and I would be performing.
I also forgot to mention previous photo of singing and dancing troupe - it was marvellous.

Carol - adore photos and Lopez stories - marvellous - any more ?

Attaching two photos - first is VE day in London - me back view. Please note red/white & blue ribbons and large slice of dry bread. We had been bombed out and were living with one of Mum's sisters.
Second shows what Ma and Pa chose to wear to the beach. Lordie, Lordie. I think the odd angle of Mum's legs is because she is trying to hide them. I have numerous photos where she has cut off her legs - too skinny she said !

Bye for now........

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 July 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

Lovely pics again. Think I've got one of my lot celebrating too with a very young baby - don't know who the baby is though  ;D

Violet Elizabeth - heaven forbid. I think I saw myself as more a Lucy (from Peanuts) figure.

Here's is another one of my Scots Canadian cousins. This was a photocopy sent over by a cousin so it's not too clear. It's of (wee) Tom Burgess (Thomas William Burgess), my 1st cousin, 4 times removed,  who founded the township of Bala in the Muskokas in Northern Ontario. Before going to Canada, Tom had worked on his uncle's (my 3 x great grandfather) farm near Bala Lake in Merionethshire. When he eventually got to the Muskokas and established a settlement - timber mills, etc. - he named it Bala after the most beautiful place he'd ever seen. He also ran the post office there and worked for the Government liaising with the local American Indian population. I have a letter written by him to his cousin in the 1890s in which he has a gossip about some of the family  :o His son, I think was a geologist/medic and Burgess Escarpment in British Columbia or Alberta is named after him (well that's what I was told).

Here he is then, Wee Tom, taken in late 1890s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 July 06 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget - Thank you for the wonderful story of Wee Tom. No doubt his thoughts often returned to beautiful Bala.
The Gt.Uncle and Aunt in my photos went to her brother in Winnipeg as young marrieds but found it too cold and came back home.
Of course - Violet Elizabeth - long time since I read those stories.
Kind regards..........

Offline BagpussBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emily Mustoe-Wheeler (Great Granny) 1885-1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Well, I have just read this whole topic from start to finish. Its taken me a while but its oh so fascinating. There have been some lovely pictures, well they're all lovely!

Can I share this one with you? Its me and my grand-dad Jack Farrow, who we used to call Bampy. He died when I was four - 26 years ago, so I don't really remember him very well. He was much loved and is still missed.

Hopefully it won't be too big!
Glos: STEVENS, SHIPTON, MUSTOE, ALDER, MORSE, ROBBINS, SCOTT<br />Suffolk: FARROW, LAMBERT, RAMPLEN, LILLISTONE<br/>Somerset & Devon: Davys, Davey, Yeandle, Heal, Heywood, Williams, Palmer, Chilcott, Brewer, Bristow. Gold/Gould

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 July 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
Here's one from my family album of a sweet baby who grew up to be a not so sweet baby!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 July 06 14:00 BST (UK) »
And here's one of my sister's wedding in 1989, very hot day!

Remember the 1980's suspect moustache's well my brother in law had one of the best.  Soon went once they were married though!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 July 06 16:29 BST (UK) »
Here's one we have just found - the last photo taken of my Great Grandmother Catherine Thomas and Great Grandad John Williams.

And the second is my Great Uncle Charles Napier Williams and wife Sophie doing the beach thing - very 20's style isn't it?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 July 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
More, more, more

What lovely babies.  Do you still have your teddy Kerry?  I still have mine and out granddaughter is his guardian, although he lives at our house!

This is another one of a lovely baby who grew up to marry me!  Taken when they lived just outside Cork

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex