Author Topic: WOOLTON Family.  (Read 1503 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WOOLTON Family.
« on: Tuesday 29 August 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the Woolton family?  I know that there was a family headed by Charles Woolton who was born in Maidstone.  He married an Elizabeth from Wycombe and they had six children listed in the 1851 Census, the eldest being 8, so he must has moved there by 1842.  His job was listed as "attends paper engine"and his address was Newlands, High Wycombe.  I know there are several paper mills in that area.

Anything would be useful.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woolton family.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 23:07 BST (UK) »
His surname is written as Wootton on both the 1851 and 1861 censuses - an ag lab in 1861 in Wycombe and Wooton in 1871.

Wycombe and the area around Maidstone had papermaking industries, so you do get movement between the two places.

This looks like his possible marriage
Marriages Jun 1842
WOOTTON  Charles     Wycombe  6 551
HAZEL  Elizabeth     Wycombe  6 551   

The IGI gives the surname as Woolton

ELIZABETH HAZEL 
CHARLES WOOLTON 
Marriage:  12 JUN 1842   Hughenden, Buckingham

There is a Charles Wooton in Wycombe on the 1841 census.

HO107 55/7 folio 5 page 4
High Wycombe  Buckinghamshire   
William Wooton 55  Buckinghamshire Ag lab
Elizabeth Wooton 45  Buckinghamshire
Charles Wooton 25  Buckinghamshire Ag lab

adult ages on the 1841 census are ususally rounded down on the 1841 census to the nearest 5, so this Charles is a little old for yours. Whether born in or out of county is not always reliable on the 1841 census.

I think you need to find out Elizabeth's maiden name to verify whether the 1842 marriage is the correct marriage. You can find Elizabeth's maiden name from the birth certificate of one of her children.
If this is the right marriage the certificate will verify Charles' father's details and whether they agree with the 1841 census information or not.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 13:33 BST (UK) »
Valda, thanks for a quick reply.

I have such problems with this surname being mispelt any number of ways (and I guess I'm not the only one on RootsChat who has this trouble).  The 1841 does look a bit old for Charles as you say, and the county info is not reliable - I have the 1861 and 1871 entries which do say he was born in Maidstone.  It does take me a bit further forward!

Thanks

Honeybun

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
It looks as thought the marriage is the right one, at Hughenden, as their first child Ann was born there in September quarter of 1842.

Pat.