Author Topic: 1861/1871 - Lookup - KENNEDY - COMPLETED  (Read 2852 times)

Offline paulcmr22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/1871 - Lookup - KENNEDY - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Hifly

It's Christine actually !!  Paul's the husband hence part of the email address.

I don't know anything really as I am quite new to all this but I was claiming this same family as I do know that my great grandad (John Kennedy's ) Dad was also called John as I sent off for the wedding certificate. 

There are a lot of Kennedys that came from Carlisle though.

I had already found the info which Tati had put in his message to you .  What I can't understand is that I have previously found Mary (Kennedy? Jackson?) either on her own with children, (widowed ?) then married to someone called Jackson and then later on married to another man - James Magee.  I don't know her first husband's name (John's Dad) which I am interested in.  Or who her son John (born C1854) married and the mother of John (born 1878) (my Great Grandad).   

I do intend going to Carlisle Records Office before winter sets in to try and find out as I want to be able to tell my Dad all about his ancestors!  He can't remember much about the family - he is 78 now.  His Dad and Grandad worked on the railways and my Dad, his brother (another  JOhn) and his parents all came down to live here in  Manchester when Dad was only a little boy.

Unless you know exact dates of births etc you can be following the wrong family, can't you?

Thanks again. 

Christine
Kennedy - Carlisle
Jackson - Carlisle
Thoburn - Carlisle
Elliot - Carlisle
Sinclair - Carlisle
Burns, Bryan, Gaffney, Morgan, Farrell - Cleator Moor and Ireland

Offline ikennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 September 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
Good to see the Kennedys of Carlisle making good progress on their research. I have a stray record from my studies in Scotland (up to 51,000 Kennedys now), I tried chasing this family but they eluded me.

Birth record read
Thomas Kennedy born 10 Oct 1886 Middlebie, Dumfries
'At Dunnabie, son of William Kennedy travelling basket maker and Mary McDavid married 1885 Jun 8th Kirkandrews Cumberland'

This appears to be just outside Carlisle. Curiously the only candidate I can see in a census for Mary was previously living in Penninghame in Wigtonshire. I can't find them in a census afterwards either in England or Scotland so if anyone comes across anything please get in touch, easiest is via my website. I lost my old id here and any old messages.

Also please make a note in your diaries for the Clan Gathering 2009 in Edinburgh, I am helping to run the Kennedy clan tent. 25-26th July 2009. http://www.clangathering.org/

Iain Kennedy
Glasgow
www.kennedydna.com

Offline paulcmr22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Since my message a few years ago about my Kennedy family from Carlisle  I can now update the information, some of which was wrong!  Mary Magee was married to James Kennedy.  (Can't find info on wedding but her Dad was THOMAS Magee.  I have found Thomas Magee on censuses in Yorkshire,  Whitehaven and Carlisle).  James Kennedy died young and she married a James Jackson and had a daughter.  Mary and James Kennedy had a few children, one of which was Hannah Kennedy who had my great grandad John Kennedy.  His birth certificate did not include his Dad's name but it was his marriage certificate which said his Dad was John Kennedy a bricklayer.  John married Martha Elliot(t) in 1899.   That's another thing.  I have their wedding certificate showing her Dad was Henry Elliot(t) but he is on censuses as Henry Pennington at times instead of Elliot! 
Kennedy - Carlisle
Jackson - Carlisle
Thoburn - Carlisle
Elliot - Carlisle
Sinclair - Carlisle
Burns, Bryan, Gaffney, Morgan, Farrell - Cleator Moor and Ireland