Author Topic: Tin-type photos  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Colin 123

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tin-type photos
« on: Wednesday 30 August 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
 ???  Hi All !
I have relatives who have some tintype photos of our ancestors back around the 1890-1900 era.  I would like to reproduce some of those photos.   Can anyone offer suggestions as to how to do so SAFELY ? Do they reproduce well enough to bother ?
Thanks from Colin in Canada
Mills of Rox,, Hook of Northumberland, Webster of Angus and Kincardine,, Low  of Angus & Kincardine

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Tin-type photos
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Have a look at this article on the subject:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1306/is_n1_v59/ai_13462319

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Welcome to RootsChat  :) :)

There are several topics on RootsChat about tin-type photos
here are two:
Topic: Help Please with a Tin Plate Photo
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,166308.0.html
and
Topic: Photo printed on tin
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,156846.0.html

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin  :)

I answered a similar query the other day:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,179456.0.html

There are links on that thread to other Rootschat messages about tintypes - have a read and get back to us if you need any more help.

Cheers :D
Prue

Offline Colin 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 06 04:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks to PrueM, Berlin-Bob and Bill749 for your help. Now if I can persuade the relatives to let us try to reproduce for the rest of the clan.  They were so afraid we would ruin them but I can now show them the results of others.  Thanks again.

Colin in Canada
Mills of Rox,, Hook of Northumberland, Webster of Angus and Kincardine,, Low  of Angus & Kincardine

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 06 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hiya Colin,
You shouldn't have any problems scanning or photographing them, as long as you don't try to flatten them out or clean them or anything like that.  They do get quite bent over time, and some people try to flatten them - with disastrous results  :'(  The emulsion layer just pops off sometimes.
Face down on a scanner, with the lid gently closed, should pose no problems at all.
Prue

Offline Colin 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 September 06 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Pru,

Thanks alot for your help on tin-types.  I am going to copy and send your advise to my relative and perhaps they will consider scanning them and sending them to me (they live 500 miles from me so we dont see each other very often).

Hummmmmmmmmmm 5 stars eh-----------you are busy as well as helpful !

Offline GenGenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 06:24 GMT (UK) »
   I have scanned tin types quite effectively.  The problem you often encounter is that they tend to be very dark.  There is a program that I have used to correct these problems that is free and very user friendly.  If you have a computer that runs the Windows operating system Google ,Windows Live Photo Gallery. This program allows you to adjust for color, exposure, straighten the image, adjust and crop the image.  The best thing is that anything you do to the image can be undone at anytime by hitting the return to original image button.  You also have the ability to label every person in a photo and the metadata created when you do that goes along with the image when you share it with someone else.  Imagine receiving a group photo from someone and running your cursor over the image and seeing the names appear. I love this free program and recommend it to anyone who is trying to deal with historic photos. There is no sadder item to be had than an album of photos that are not labeled and the faces are unknown. 

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Having stuffed up in the early days of getting access to my daughter's 600dpi scanner. I now always, first off, create an archive copy. These days on to a memory stick.

Then as soon as I go to modify a copy from my archives copy  I, SAVE AS, that copy to a new name, that way any save while you are playing around with the image, you still have your original as a back up.

With flat scanners there is no need to put a weighty lid down before copying. I just use a sheet or two of A3 white paper on delicate objects. Or a white towel is good for bound objects etc.

Would NOT recommend attempting a scan through the scanners where the scanned object moves, and not the scanning wand. Had a nasty experience in an archive where the delicate map being scanned appeared to be slightly off alignment, and when the Librarian tried to assist it's passage through the machine, got fouled on the chair they were leaning over, the scanner moved on it's table, and the map then fouled adjacent appliances. giving it a nasty crease.

I spent a combined 12 days researching in that archive, so after a few days the archivist librarians just left me at the end of the day, to photo copy the 20 or 30 pages I had flagged for copying.

After that experience I was extremely pleased I had insisted upon them making, for my research at home, a B&W copy from the map.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.