Author Topic: Looking for Harry Porter, Vancouver, BC.  (Read 807 times)

Offline bluearmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Harry Porter, Vancouver, BC.
« on: Thursday 31 August 06 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for my GG uncle Harry Porter who emigrated from England to Canada around 1900.

I have found his Attestation Papers when he joined the Pioneers on 4th April 1916:

Born 28th March 1878 Rothley, Leicestershire, England.

Married to Emma E. with 2 children (both girls I think).

Living at 3004 Garden Drive, Vancouver, BC.

I can't seem to find him on
http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Incidentally, he is listed on the earlier census (in the UK) as Harold P Bent. His father being Thomas Porter, and his mother Elizabeth Bent (maiden name from a previous marriage).

Hope someone can help.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Harry Porter, Vancouver, BC.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 06 22:40 BST (UK) »
It looks like Vancouver is not completely indexed in 1911 yet, and I guess he might have not been in the area by 1901.  Not sure how you'd go about figuring out which is the right part of the census for that address, though.

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-D2705F/gbsearch/Deaths - there is Harry Porter here d. 1956 aged 78, which gives approximately the right age for him.  There's also some Emma and Emma Elizabeth Porters.

However, the marriage does not seem to be shown in BC.  Are you sure he left around 1900? There is a Harry Porter m. possibly a Emma Elizabeth Hackett 1906 in Doncaster. (freebmd)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bluearmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Harry Porter, Vancouver, BC.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 06 08:30 BST (UK) »
jorose

Thankyou for the info. I will investigate further.

The marriage in Doncaster looks promising.

Regards

Antony