Author Topic: Thompson/Finley Families  (Read 3135 times)

Offline karina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thompson/Finley Families
« on: Friday 01 September 06 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to Irish research having only so far looked at the English family. I am trying to find out about my Great Grandparents William John Thompson who married Sarah Finley. All I know is that they had a large family my grandmother being one of them, was born in 1912 in Killelagh. My gramdmother was called Sarah Elizabeth, and she also had brothers called Martin (killed in WW1) and Norman as well as a number of sisters. I think the Thompson family may have been farmers. Any help would be welcome.
Karina ???
Grundill/Grindale/Grindall and any other variants from Cumbria, Yorkshire and Durham
Southward, Robson from Cumbria
Coldbeck from Yorkshire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson/Finley Families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Karina,
What denomination were your Finley and Thompson ancestors ???

These surnames aren't listed in Killelagh on Griffith's Valuation - Derry 1858-59
which is on John Hayes' failteromhat.com site

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 08 08:12 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation is too early to trace this particular family without knowing more details.

Karina, by now you might have been able to find more information but if you haven't done so here are a few things to consider.
Martin Thompson killed WWI- do you have a regiment, service # or date of death. I couldn't see him in CWGC site which lists most soldiers killed in WWI. Also couldn't see a birth for him in Co. Derry.
Couldn't see a birth for Norman Thompson either although there was a Henry Norman Thomson born 1896. Also unable to find date of marriage for a William John Thompson and Sarah Finley in Co. Derry.
Do you know what religion the family were? And exactly where they lived (townland)?
With some more information we might be able get more information on the Thompson family for you.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 08:33 BST (UK) »
Griffith's isn't too early. It's sometimes extremely useful to look back a few years to see if families bearing the surname being researched were in a specific area.

If you've got a brickwall and there are descendents of relatives still in the area a letter to a local paper can sometimes work wonders.

See the addresses of a couple of papers on the Murray Family Londonderry thread which is on this board.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 08 09:09 BST (UK) »
Christopher, Griffith's is 1850s and Thompson is a very, very common surname so until a few more facts are established (like the townland for example) there's no point in running around looking at Griffith's.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 09:22 BST (UK) »
Christopher, Griffith's is 1850s and Thompson is a very, very common surname so until a few more facts are established (like the townland for example) there's no point in running around looking at Griffith's.

I wonder if Killelagh is correct. Maybe this post should be on the Co. Down board ...
it could be Killyleagh. There were both Finleys and Thompsons in Co. Down

Finlay / Finley is a much more common surname in Co. Down than it is in Co. Derry. 
The same thing applies to Thompson ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 08 10:00 BST (UK) »
Christopher- Killelagh is a parish in Co. Derry and there are both Thompsons and Finleys in the area so as Moderator of the Derry board I have decided the topic will stay here. If Karina does return with information indicating it belongs elsewhere then and only then will this thread be moved.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 October 08 10:04 BST (UK) »
I'll be interested to see Karina's comments if she returns to RootsChat. 8)

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think Christopher may be right about it being Killyleagh.
There is a William Thompson signed the Ulster Covenant there in 1912, also an Elizabeth.
Then with the Finley signings [this spelling there aren't too many] there is one for Killyleagh, none other that may be suitable except a village in Donegal, Killea [?] that has a Finley.
As the family were supposed to be there in 1912 i would say Co Down is a better bet.
Possibly why no traces of them in Co Londonderry.
Regarding soldiers, no Martin Finley that would be suitable. Could only find one at all, joined Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1881.
Have quite a lot of 1st war military info for City and County Londonderry and found nothing.
There was a Norman Finley killed with the Canadians, more searching can see if this leads anywhere.
Canadian records are on-line. And as many Ulster families went to Canada would be worth a look.
See this lady is still using the boards so personnal message may bring her back here.
Rob