Author Topic: Blue family, Kilmun  (Read 26094 times)

Offline blueth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blue family, Kilmun
« on: Tuesday 05 September 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Has anyone information about Dugald Blue, believed to be born in Kilmun, Argyllshire in May 1852. His father's name was John. I have no more ideas, and am stuck!
Blueth

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Blue family, Kilmun
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Blueth, where did you get this info. on Dugald Blue? He does not appear on Scotlandspeople, but there are two others:

28/08/1853 Blue Dugald, parents Donald Blue and Christina McLachlan, Barony.
21/05/1854 Blue Dugald, parents Donald Blue and Mary Townsend, Dalry.

The ´61 census has no Dugald Blue age 5-10 in Kilmun, but they appear as age 6 in Greenock and 7 in Dalry.

Something does not add up. Either the father´s name is wrong, or dates and location (or all!). Wildcards did not seem to help.

There is however a Dugald Blue born 26/02/1855 in Greenock (other side of the Firth) with father John Blue, mother Jane McNeill. Could this be your man?

Good hunting,

Thrall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Blueth

Not sure if there is a connection. Have you seen these posts on Ancestry.com forum? May be worthwhile  contacting them. Names seem similar.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.blue/416

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Did your Dugald remain in Scotland or did he (maybe with family) emigrate? In the 1881 Census in Scotland there are only 2 Dugald Blues with an age range of 25-35.  They are both showing as age 26 and born in either Daltry, Ayr or Greenock, Renfrew (these seem to tie in with the info posted by Thrall). There is only one entry for a Blue with a Dunoon (nothing Kilmun) birth place and that's a Donald in his 50s.

Regards.

Monica

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, I seem to remember that possibly Dunoon and Kilmun were sometime one registry district, but cannot find an instance just now.

Good hunting,

Thrall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thrall, you're correct, they were previously one Registry. In the 1851 Census, there are only 3 entries in Dunoon and Kilmun, a couple John and Margaret aged 22 visitors in household. Also a Sarah Blue, aged 26 in a separate household. I've been trying to find them in the 1861 Census, but wonder if the surname has been mistranscribed, they are not jumping out as yet!

In the 1861 Census, there is one more entry apart from the two highlighted by Thrall, a 7yr old Dugale (oh those transcriptions!) Blue in Glasgow. But  his father is a Donald from Argyll, and this Dugald was born in Glasgow. This is the 1853 IGI entry shown by Thrall earlier.

Blueth, any more information on your Dugald that could help with searches?

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 18:18 BST (UK) »
Blueth

I think the couple in Dunoon and Kilmun in 1851 are relevant. I found this IGI entry:

John Blue  Birth:  23 MAR 1827   Christening:  26 MAR 1827  Ardpatrick, Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
Parents: Father:  Dugald Blue  Mother: Mary Bell    

Marriages: Spouse:  Margaret Ferguson    Marriage:  23 NOV 1850  (this marriage shows as both a submitted entry and an actual extract from the OPRs).

It would appear that post 1855, John and Margaret moved to Glasgow where they had the following children:

1. ARCHIBALD BLUE Birth: 19 APR 1856 Clyde, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
2. DENNIS BLUE Birth: 20 NOV 1865 Central District, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
3. DENIS BLUE Birth: 26 JUL 1873 Calton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
4. JANE BLUE Birth: 11 JUN 1871 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
5. JOHN BLUE Birth: 06 AUG 1868 Central District, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
6. CATHERINE BLUE Birth: 30 SEP 1860 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
7. MARGARET BLUE Birth: 02 NOV 1863 Central District, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
8. DANIEL BLUE Birth: 31 DEC 1861 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
9. COLIN BLUE Birth: 24 MAY 1858 Tradeston, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Now, these births are all post official registration in 1855. I am thinking that if we have the right couple, Dugald would have been born in Kilmun c. 1852whilst his parents were there (we have them there in 1851).

If Dugald was the first born son, he would have been called after John's father which fits Scottish naming patterns.

What is also notable, is that a sibling search for this John shows the following names for parents Dugald Blue and Mary Bell:

1. ARCHIBALD BLUE  Birth: 24 AUG 1825 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
2. CHRISTIAN BLUE Birth: 30 OCT 1831 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
3. MARGARET BLUE Birth: 15 SEP 1823 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland
4. COLIN BLUE Birth: 17 MAY 1829 Kilcalmonell And Kilberry, Argyll, Scotland

As you can see, the names are very similar to those of John and Margaret's children. I've picked out above only the actual extracted births from the OPRs. There are other entries for this couple's children, including more marriage details and deaths.

The problem at the moment is finding the family, one would think in the Glasgow area in the 1861 Census. We need to do this to find your Dugald in the household. I'm thinking their surname Blue has been mistrascribed as I'm not finding them there under that name. The family seem to have lived in Glasgow for some years given that all the post 1855 births were registered there.

Monica

Offline Thrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, you´re doing well - sorry not to have had more digging time. Do you think Blueth is following us? I´m still interested in where his info. is from!

Good hunting,

Thrall

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Me too!

I'm convinced the family is there in Glasgow in 1861 (and 1871 given the births of the children) but who knows how Blue has been indexed because nothing is coming up with lots of * in and around the spelling of Blue.

Can't move on without finding Dugald in the family and 1861 is the best bet! It would be worthwhile Blueth moving the 1861 census query to the Lanarkshire board (somebody like Liz who has access to the 1861 Census index might have a better chance of finding them under some spelling - not sure how flexible the cd is in respect of searches).

Soooooooo frustrating...and I've only been trying for a little while!

Regards.

Monica