Author Topic: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.  (Read 54828 times)

Offline sanb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Churchills and Richards Engineering Cos. Broadheath, Altrincham.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, yes my dad worked at george richards for all of my early childhood, he worked as a storeman, and I remember him being made redundant in the late 60s, he then moved to budenbergs as a security man, I too remember the works hooter - we could hear it from our back garden on the grange estate in timperley, my dad was called raymond holt.

Offline OkyBrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I also worked at George Richards from 1957 untill I moved across the road to Tilghmans on the compressor side, working out on site. I do remember a storeman called Ray, very black hair and always smiling also in the same store room was a lady who issued drawings and if needed first aid plasters. I purchased a book last year titled `Famous for a Century by Curtise Sparkes  and this is all about Broadheath Engineering and the factories.

Offline sanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 23:50 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, there must have been another Ray!!  My dad had ginger wavy hair, and was tall and Quite skinny, he also had a foot deformity. At teatimes he would talk for ages about his day, we got to hear all the gossip from the neighbouring factories- tilghmans,kearns, churchills the lino, were among the topics of conversation at the table!! all these names are childhood memories of my dad, All his family were from broadheath and all had worked at many of these places.when he moved to budenbergs, I remember as a child, going to the works christmas parties- and seeing a huge pressure guage hanging from the ceiling (whatever happened to that?)Happy days :)

Offline Lynda B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 16 October 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there my Dad Ben Pearson worked at George Richards, then Kearns.   He was maintenance. I remember one of the people who worked with him surname of Morris from Sale.  My Dad got made redundant from Kearns and went on to work at Linotype.   My Grandad Leslie Wilson worked at Record Electrical.  I lived in Altrincham until 2003 when we moved to Spain.  Have lots of fond memories.
PEARSON, Bucklow, Hale,  Altrincham.  Cheshire.  Essex.
WRAGG, Knutsford, Rostherne  Cheshire.  Whitchurch.
WILSON, Altrincham, Cheshire.  Scarborough,  Norwich. 
ORME, Knutsford, Mobberley. Altrincham Cheshire.
HANKINSON, Bucklow, Warrington
BLEASE,  Altrincham,  Rostherne, Cheshire
BAKER,  Norwich Norfolk
JONES,  Shropshire,  St.Helens/Prescot Lancs.  Scarborough
BELLIS,  Warrington, St Helens

Offline vtyman churchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I worked at Churchill,s from 1955 until they decided to move to Coventry, a Mr Hartley was apprentice superviser when I started my apprenticeship ,I remember Charley murgatroid he was a trainer?,after about 18month,s,I was asked if I fancied moving to the main workshop as a horizontal borer, Stan march-charley roberts-rodney Hackwell- Len Campbell were just a few of my workmates, Fred Matley was forman fitter in 7bay,Albert Hammond was a electricion, I lived in timperley,Albert lived just a few doors away,very fond memory,s. Vty

Offline Loretogirl47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I haven't been on this site for ages, since I started this thread by asking about George Richards.  I am surprised no one remembers my Dad, Bill Cottrill, he worked for many, many years there.  He was a wood pattern maker.  He was well known in the Altrincham area.  He lived  on Leicester Ave. Timperley, as a child and young man.  He went to school in Altrincham at St Vincent's, before serving his apprenticeship at Churchill's, he worked at Richards for a short while, he then worked in the USA for several years then came back to Timperley and went back to Richards until it closed down.  He then worked at Metal Box company along the Bridgewater canal in Timperley, until he passed away in 1982.

I no longer live in the UK but have fond memories of the Altrincham/Timperley area.  We lived on Bridgewater Rd., in Broadheath, for a few years, from about 1953, then moved to Brookfield Ave. Timperley.   I remember going to Navigation Rd. play ground as a child, if I remember correctly they had a park keeper who lived in a hut on the play ground.  I went to St Vincent's School and then to Loreto  Convent, in Bowden.
I remember walking to Navigation Rd Station with my Mom and my baby brother in a huge pram and they would load the pram into the guards Van and we would go off to Manchester to visit relatives.   It was a lovely clean station with flowers in the summer and a fire in the waiting room in the winter.
Gresty/Cheshire/Lancashire
Pedlar/lancashire/Devon
Cottrill/Lancashire
McCreesh/Lancashire/Ireland
Sharkey/Ireland
Rothwell/Lancashire,Oldham
Taylor/Middleton/Lancashire
Daxon/Cheshire/Lancashire
Platt/Cheshire/Lancashire
Hoult/Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline vtyman churchill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 22 May 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. You say your father was an apprentice at churchills?,what trade did he serve in?,you say you lived on Brookfield Avenue,well I lived there for10years 1964/1974? ,Albert Hammond was living a few doors up from us?and Mr &Mrs Ball lived next door,I walked down Atlantic Street a few days ago,I noticed Churchill,s last remnants have gone?a massive Asda store Is near on completed??.vty

Offline bramhaĺl80

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 20 July 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello there. I worked at Metalbox Box when it closed down back in the 80's and I remember you dad Bill. He worked on the snow grinder a massive horizontal surface grinder that gave  up so much spray its was like snow. Big set fella bald head if I remember right. We knew him Kojak the machine was next to the main door to the factory. My father Syd worked in the stores too
I will attempt to send you a photo of the turning section .

There's always  someone who  knows someone.
Regards Bob Wilson

Offline Merrell09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 21 February 16 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Geoff

I have just been reading your posts regarding Kearns Richards etc and your post exchange to 'Jac'.  With regard to you mentioning "your Labourer, Henry", I wondered if you were referring to Henry Merrell (who is my Grandad), especially with the mention of the name Tommy Murray as that name rang a bell, as does yours in connection with my Grandad who worked at Kearns for many years during the 1960s and 1970s.   If you get chance, please let me know if you knew my Grandad, Henry, I would be most grateful.

Best wishes, Louise