Author Topic: COMPLETED 1851, Pinching family, Walthamstow,please.  (Read 6845 times)

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED 1851, Pinching family, Walthamstow,please.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 July 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Well what a nice surprise.  Thank you for getting in touch. I am connected to William Hamilton Ennis Pinching who came out to NZ and settled here.  From the postings on Rootschat you will see that they were all given the most fantastic names which made tracing some of them a bit easier.

You may be interested to find that there are still Pinchings in London, one of whom has been in touch with me and generously supplied me with lots of family information.
The Pinching family certainly travelled settling in NZ, Australia and the USA, some served in the British Army in India as well as the British Navy and HM East India Company. 

When you have made three postings the PM (private messaging) system will open up to you making the exchange of email addresses easier.

Kind Regards,
Kiwi

Offline Steven W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

This thing is so weird.  I am actually from NZ as well but working in London.  Looking up deceased people linking back 100 years to NZ is somewhat bizzare!

Thanks for your response - I do hope that the other Pinchings of London get in touch with me.  I will try and send another msg to enable the private messaging system. 

The grave site was damaged in WWII and is located in quite a affluent area of the cemetery.  We had some thoughts about restoration, or re-use of the site - but before doing so I do wish to have some form of consent from any living descendants.  I will wait - and hopefully hear back from the others.

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 July 15 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

It's a small world, after your posting I googled the cemetery and was stunned to find it was huge! something like 42 acres, you have a massive job ahead of you*laugh* Are you there on a working holiday or is the move permanent?  I did the working holiday thing over 50years ago, stayed in London for a while and travelled around.

I was a bit shocked to see some of the cemetery had been reused, not a pleasant thought, the word restoration sounds much more acceptable. 

Do you have a grave photo you could email?

I have permission to give you the London area Pinching email address when the private messaging system opens up to you along with mine.  Another Pinching descendant from Horatio Pinching's line is in America, I will ask if he is agreeable for you to contact him.

Kind Regards,
kiwi

Offline Steven W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi

It is a small world - I have been here for 11 years now and have dual citizenship which certainly helps with immigration queues at Heathrow.  Probably something you never had to experience 50 years ago! Not so many NZ'ers here now since some changes to the immigration policies here - I certainly could not have come the route I did (Working Holiday then Highly Skilled Migrant then Indefinite leave / citizenship) as the highly skilled visas are incredibly hard for people to get now - its only restricted to healthcare professionals etc...  Anyhow I digress...

West Norwood is one of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries of London and has around 70 listed monuments within it - during Victorian times you would have had to be pretty well heeled to be buried in the site.  The Friends of West Norwood Cemetery often do tours and talks on the site in what has become a pretty popular place to visit in terms of it's more well known buried 'residents' as well as its architectural merits.

...and YES - West Norwood has had an awful history of re-using graves illegally and it is something that is not forgotten here.  You probably read that the cemetery is under a Consistory Court ruling (basically the church court) that has judged that the cemetery be managed under a Scheme of Management Committee that makes all of the key decisions for it until such time that a joint petition is made to the consistory court again by the Scheme of Management (and the council) to resume control back to the Council.  One of the conditions of a successful petition will be that the Scheme of Management is satisfied with the Councils LEGAL approach to re-use and / or restoration.  And this, in a very short summary is what I am doing now as a pilot.  The pilot just so happened to include the Pinching plot.

It would be fantastic if you could give me some details of the living family members to discuss this further. 

I of course have a photo of the plot but I suspect it is not what you expect! given bomb damage and years of neglect its merely just the footprint of a brick vault.  I tried to attach to this but maybe that will work once I have sent my third post.
I also have with names and burial years of each family member and it appears that the plot was once owned by the 'Weller' and 'Wildbore' family and then taken over by the Pinching's through (I presume) marriage.  The list is as follows:

Edward Weller 1844
Clara Matilda Wildbore 1846
Frances Sophia Wildbore 1865
Daniel Peacock Wildbore 1879
Alice Edith Pinching 1879
Frances Sophia Pinching 1910

The 'Frances Sophia' appears to the a handed down name that suggests that the Wildbore and Pinching family were linked at some point.  It might be that they were Aunty / Niece but who knows!

I have taken photos of the burial registers with these names in them, again once I have private messaging I can share these these with you.  Importantly, on the register is Horatio Nelson Pinching being named as the last known proprietor of the grave (taking over in Feb 1914) - he does not appear to be buried here but Alice and Edith presumably were directly related to him.

Anyway, all interesting stuff.  Speak to you soon,
Cheers

Steve

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve & Kiwi

You have enough posts to use the personal message system to exchange information such as email addresses, see here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

There are no facilities to attach photos on the 'completed' or 'look-up request' boards or include them in personal messages.

Exchange email addresses and email the images.

Please be mindful of our 'no living people' here, again the pm system is perfect for this.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline kiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi dawnsh,

We have now exchanged emails through the pm system. It was just a case of getting the 3 posts for Steve.

Kind Regards,
kiwi