Author Topic: Canadian Miners  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Aley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Canadian Miners
« on: Thursday 07 September 06 23:21 BST (UK) »
Is there a place where someone could get a list of Miners that worked in the mines between 1900 - 1940. I'm looking for the years and what mines my relatives worked in.

John Davison b.1869 Durham, England, came to Nova Scotia abt 1900 - 1905 worked in the Spring Hill Mine. And the Hillcrest Mine, died 1914 in the Hillcrest Mine disaster.

John Robinson b. 1885 England moved to Canada abt. 1902. He died in 1932. He worked at the Western Gem Coal Co. Ltd.. John moved to  Newcastle, Alberta about 3 years before his death. He could have worked in the Midland Mine, not sure which mine it was.

Aley
Bott from Yorkshire, Davison from Durham, Ross from Inverness, Scotland, Robinson from England, Simpson from Scotland, Elliott from Yorkshire

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Miners
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
finding aids for some information at archives Canada...Coal Miners / Newcastle, Alberta...J.J.

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=1661801&
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Amy2330

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 11 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Aley,

I am also a descendant of John Davison through his daughter Mary. If you are interested in chatting about the family tree please  email me (*)Amy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Amy
Make one more post and then you can use the PM system by clicking on the little green scroll under Aley's name.

If either of you want any information on the Springhill Mines, I can probably help as I am descended from various miners in the area and have access to quite a bit of information.

Offline Amy2330

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Valeriec

Offline Amy2330

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile