Author Topic: My MUNRO's  (Read 5249 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My MUNRO's
« on: Saturday 09 September 06 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Am looking for info on the parents of my Alexander Munro - born in 1822/23 in Urray Ross and Crom...have been told his parents were John Munro and Isobel Ross....but am unable to confirm this,  have checked SP and couldnt find a thing.......Alexander married in 1845 to Mary McClean and then again in 1874 to Margaret Fraser...also if you find any children to these marriages i would be grateful,  so far only have Simon Fraser Munro b 1876

Thanks heaps

Craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Beauly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My MUNRO's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Craizi!
I can't help you directly with your Munros but I prepare an Australian Clan Munro newsletter with a genealogy section in which I publish Munro queries.  If that might be of help to you, just let me know and I will publish it for you.

Regards, Don

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Don, 

Thank you for your offer,  i will get back to you when i get the info together

craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 06 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Craizi

The marriage of Alexander Munro and Margaret Fraser (05 JUN 1874 Kiltarlity, Inverness, Scotland) will be available to view on Scotlands People. This would confirm to you who Alexander's parents were.

There is one likely child showing from his first marriage to Mary Mclean:

ANNE MUNRO  Christening:  20 JUN 1847 Free Church, Kiltarlity, Inverness, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 06 03:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Monica,  but i dont have credits to Scots ppl,

I must add that i have since been told that his parents were Duncan Munro and Anne Ross.,  but still am unsure of anything concrete

Thanks again

craizi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 September 06 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Craizi

I thought the names sounded familiar:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,159629.0.html

From the searches I did then:

In the 1881 Census there was only one child showing for Margaret and Alexander, Simon b. 1876. Given Margaret's age, it is likely this may have been their only child.

You have Alexander living with older son Duncan in 1891, as a widower (did Margaret die in 1888 in Kiltarlity? Is this where you got her parents from?) with son Simon age 14.

Where did you get the original information that parents to Alexander were Duncan Munro and Ann Ross? As you saw from the submitted entries for this couple's children, there wasn't an entry for Alexander's details. But again, they were all submitted entries rather than actual and it can happen that people researching family lines are unaware/miss out other siblings.

Since May this year, FreeCen have increased their coverage of R & C (80% now). This looks to be Duncan and Ann in Urray, with the three younger children still at home (matching the IGI submitted entries):

MUNRO   Duncan    45       Gardener        Ross and Cromarty
MUNRO   Ann   45                                 Ross and Cromarty    
MUNRO   Ann   13                                 Ross and Cromarty    
MUNRO   Thomas   9                               Ross and Cromarty
MUNRO   Duncan    7                                Ross and Cromarty    

Address: Highfield, Urray-Ross and Cromarty 

In respect of Alexander's first marriage in 1845 in Kiltarlity to Mary Mclean, the only child showing on IGI is Anne b.1847. To find out what other children they had apart from Duncan and Anne, the best route would be the 1851/61 Censuses. I can only see one death of a Mary Munro/Mclean, in 1864 in R &C with a birth year of 1825 +/- 5yrs which may or may not be connected.

Unfortunately 100% confirmation of Alexander's parents will only come from viewing his marriage or death certs.

Regards.

Monica

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your trouble Monica ,  these Munro's are proving a lot of hassle.......i think my cousin got a researcher and said Duncan and Ann were Alexander's parents,  but like you i can find NO proof of it either, 

He also said that,  Duncan b 1796 parents were John Munro and Isobel Ross,  but being here in Nth  OZ i cant seem to find much

So i thank you again for your time

Craizi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
From his 1874 marriage, Alexander's parents were Duncan MUNRO and Anne ROSS. Duncan's occupation is down as gardner, which matches the 1841 census entry I posted earlier. Both show as deceased. Margaret's parents were Simon FRASER and Mary nee FRASER, which is where the name Simon came for their child born in 1876.

So, all the information we had for Alexander was correct. Parents, siblings etc.

Regards.

Monica

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 September 06 11:06 BST (UK) »
Wow monica

You are a STAR  thank you so much......you have put a lot of time in to this....and i once again thank you ssoooooo much

Can i just confirm that Margaret's parents were Simon Fraser and Mary Fraser ...nee Fraser

Craizi