Author Topic: Joseph Ward died 1906 in America  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Joseph Ward died 1906 in America
« on: Sunday 10 September 06 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just discovered one of my husband's relations died in America, after visiting the graveyard with his family headstone.

All it says is that he died in America on October 11, 1906 aged 23, he was born in 1883.  I've checked the Ellis Island site, without success.  He is on the census living in Egremont, Cumberland in 1901, working as an iron ore miner.  He was born in Cleator, Cumberland.

Is there any way that I could find out what happened to him, and where he died?  I've also checked Family Search without success.

Rosemary

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Ward died 1906 in America
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

I have him on the immigration lists to America - While his name is common - he wasn't hard to find, came up almost at top of the list of possibles and his last residence clinched it.

SS Saxonia
Departed : Liverpool 10 May 1904, Arrived: May 1904 Boston Massachusetts
List D - Manifrest line #28
Joseph WARD , Age 21 years & 4 months, Single
Country of Last Residence: Gt Britain
Race or People: Irish
Last Residence: Scalegill
Destination: Buttle, Mon.
Can Read & Write, and is in Good health
He has a ticket to final destination. He paid for his own passage.
He has $60US and has never been to the US before.
He is going to: Brother P. WARD, 431 Anaconia Road, Buttle Cty, Mon.

From this,  I believe he was going to Butte City, Butte-Silver Bow County in State of Montana. It seems it may also be referred to as Buttle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte,_Montana

And specifically he may have been going to work in a particular mine there - the ANACANDA mine.  Read more on that mine, here:
http://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/geese/stories/marcusdaly.htm
As recently as 1900, Butte County had a Newspaper, "The Butte Miner " which ran obituaries.

I see from 1901 Census, in Town of Scalegill, Egremont, Cumberland that :
Joseph was living in with his Irish born parents Felix & Mary.
He has a brother named Patrick - 10 yrs older than him, who was at home too in this Census. Patrick in 1901 is single, "Living on his Own means" ( as is his older brother James - did you find that very curious, when his father and 2 younger brothers are all employed as Miners!?!)

Will try  find Patrick going into the the US 1901 to 1904 - but I can already see that may be a bit harder! Do you know what ultimately became of him - ie: where he married (if he did) and died and was buried? He may not have remained in the US after his brother Joseph sadly died.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again

This site:
http://www.mtech.edu/silverbow/silverbow/CEMETERIES/ST%20PATS/StPats%20W.htm

Records Joseph's burial in
St Patricks Cemetery in  Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana
WARD JOSEPH
Male, died 11 Oct 1906
Date of birth (not recorded)
Ref: Section P Row 5

More info on Butte, in general:
http://www.mtech.edu/silverbow/silverbow/BUTTE/Page1-Enter.htm
http://montanakids.com/db_engine/presentations/presentation.asp?pid=354&sub=Enter

This site:
http://www.butteamerica.com/labor.htm
Says : "From 1906 to 1925, 685 miners died and hundreds more were disabled, injured, or maimed in accidents in Butte. Of the deadliest mining disasters in the U.S. at the turn of the century, several happened in Butte's mines...."
1906 was not one of these apparently, but it does go on to say "Smaller, less dramatic accidents claimed about one miner a week and mortuary records are filled with accidental deaths"

How sad  :'( he obviously went off to make his fortune, too!

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly

This is great!!!  Thank you so much.  I only found the headstone on Saturday, and already I have all this information about Joseph, thanks to you. 

Also, his brother James, whose name was on the headstone, went to South Africa and died there.  After posting on the emigrants site, I was kindly given a death notice reference for him.
Apparently he must have had some money to have had a death notice.  I've been in touch with NAAIRS, so hopefully something will come of that.

I looked for Joseph on the Ellis Island site, without success.

That means that Patrick also went to America, which I didn't know.  I don't know anything else about him.

My mother-in-law said her grandmother always told her that the Wards had money.  When we found the family headstone in the graveyard, it was the biggest in there, right beside the main entrance.  Their parents were buried in with them, and the other brother Felix.  There was no mention of poor Patrick.

I haven't looked at all the links you sent, that's what I'm going to do now!! 

It's funny how Joseph's last residence was down as Scalegill, because it is so tiny.  There is a Scalegill Road in Moor Row, near Cleator Moor where he was born.  That's where he was living in 1901, but I would have thought he would have put down Moor Row or Cleator Moor. 

Anyway thanks again

Regards

Rosemary

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Roz

When Joseph went to US in 1904, he gave his contact there as brother, P WARD.

I had assumed this was Patrick, the brother with him on the UK Census 1891, 1901 - but it wasn't - it was Peter who as per your PM, was another  brother whom you last had sight of in 1871  ;D  What's more, in 1920, Peter was still at the same address Joseph gave him as being at in 1904!

1900 - Silver Bow Township, Silver Bow County, Montana
Address: 431 Anaconda Road
Head: Peter WARD 39, b Jan 1861 England of Irish Parents, imm 1879, in US 20 yrs, Naturalised, Occ: Miner
Wife: Catherine WARD 28, b Jul 1871 England of Irish Parents, imm 1886, in US 13 yrs. Birthed 4 children, 2 living.
Dau: Mary WARD 5, b Jul 1894 Montana of English parents
Dau: Annie WARD 2 b Jul 1897 Montana of English parents
Mother: Mary BARRY 65, marr for 35 yrs, b July 1834 Ireland of Irish Parents, birthed 10 children, 5 living, imm 1890 - in US 9 yrs.
Cousin: Michael McVEY 27, single, b Sep 1872 Ireland of Irish OParents, imm 1888 - in US 12 yrs. Occ Fireman
Adopted: John BARRY 10 b Aug 1884 Miichigan of Irish father, Michigan mother, Occ: At School.

Peter owns their home, Freehold.
Peter and Catherine have been married 7 years.
Mother Mary BARRY is Catherine's mother - as the 1910 Census shows. She may also be a widow here, rather than married.
The Cousin may be on Catherine's side).
Enumerated before them, at same address is family of Oswald BARRY - probably Catherine's brother.

A note regarding ages - the 1900 Census required the Enumerator's to take a household return, do some sums to enlarge the data for the actual Census sheet we see - very very often their sums were a bit off! This is often displayed by anomalies in the ages against the birth years - so do not be troubled if things don't end up stacking up against other records.  Mary BARRY being 65 here and 80 in 1910, may be a bit of female perogative being exercised!

1910 - Precinct 11, Silver Bow County, Montana
Address: 271 Anaconda Road
Head: Peter WARD 47, b England of Irish Parents, imm 1881, Naturalised, Occ: Miner in Copper Mines
Wife: Katherine WARD 37, b England of Irish parents, imm 1890, has birthed 7 children, 5 still living.
Dau: Mary WARD 16, b Montana of English parents
Dau: Anna L WARD 12, b Montana of English parents
Dau: Katherine WARD 10, b Montana of English parents
Dau: Gertrude WARD 5, b Montana of English parents
Son: Peter WARD Jnr 3, b Montana of English parents

Mother in Law: Mary BARRY 80, widow, b Ireland of Irish parents, imm 1892, cannot read or write, has birthed 10 children, 3 still living.
Nephew: John BARRY 20, single, b Michigan of Irish father, Wisconsin mother, Occ: Miner in Copper Mines

Peter owns their home, freehold.
Peter & Katherine have been married 18 years and first marriage for each.
Census definitrely says 271 Anaconda Road - yet he was at 431 in 1904 and in 1920, and I am sure this is the same man.

1920 - East Centerville Township, Silver Bow County, Montana
Address: 431 Anaconda Road
Head: Peter WARD 58, b England of Irish Parents, imm 1879, Naturalised 1885, Occ: Watchman in Mines
Wife: Catherine WARD 46, b England of Irish Parents, imm prior 1881?, Naturalised
Dau: Amaria ? WARD 22, single, b Montana of English father, Irish Mother, Occ: Clerk in Grocery Store
Dau: Catherine WARD 19, single, b Montana of English father, Irish Mother, Occ: None
Son: Peter WARD Jnr 12, bMontana of English father, Irish Mother

Peter owns their home, Freehold.

1930 - Butte City, Silver Bow County, Montana
Address: 939 ------ Street (near East Second Street)
Head: William  ---?  HAY, 22 or 27, b Montana of Missouri parents, first married at age 19, Occ: Cler for -------?
Wife: C(K?)atherine B HAY 28, b Montana of English parents
Father-In-Law: Peter WARD 69, widower, b England, of Irish Free State Parents, no occupatiion.

Peter immigrated (looks like) 1880, and is Naturalised.
William rents their home for $31 a month. His middle initial may be P T J or I?

Consensus is Peter arrived in  US 1879 to 1881 but I can't locate him - a lot pf Peter WARDS and he's not leaping out. He may not have arrived in Boston, nor initially into Montana  - he may have made his way there later.

1880 - If he's already in US, Can't locate him - he is not married yet, and may not yet be in Montana.
1890 - No Census Available.

So back to drawing board for Patrick! And I can't see Felix - who was missing from UK Census 1891 and 1901 before his 1905 death in Cumberland.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Roz!

How exciting is this - I have found living descendants online on the BARRY side, who has a tree which includes Peter & Catherine (Peter died 1944). He may not have a lot on the background of Peter - some details are a bit off, but it's definitely the same family as I've posted in the Census above. Catherine BARRY too,  was born in Cleator!

I'll PM you!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 04:53 BST (UK) »
Some more bits & pieces:

Definite:
Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana, Directory, 1902
Peter WARD - Miner - Nipper Mine
Address:431 Anaconda road

Definite? ( the year also according to the BARRY descendant's tree)
Montana Death Index, 1907-2002
Name: Peter WARD
Died: 8 Jan 1944  Death County: Silver Bow 
Index Number: Bt 14950 

Possible: Long SHot
Butte, Silver Bow County, Montana, Directory, 1902 Record
Patrick WARD - Miner - Bell Mine
Address:r546 North Franklin

and:

Patrick Ward
Died:4 Sep 1908
Index Number:15-0379

If this is your Patrick he will have missed a US Census, being as he was in England 1901. There were other irish WARD's in Butte Montana though, with similar names to Peter Catherine etc  - so may not be him.

Very poss Peter's wife - fits with he being widower in 1930. Her age is a bit off, but then, so is his on his death record:
Catherine WARD
Died 12 Feb 1924
Index Number:Bt 3068

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly

Just a quick word, I'm just off to work.  How exciting!!!

You've given me so much to look forward to reading when I return tonight.

Thank you

Rosemary

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 September 06 08:01 BST (UK) »
Wahoo! Roz!

What a family history  your one trip to a local cemetery has begun!
As you mentioned, this good Irish Catholic family had a big family - and re: the boys:
Just getting this straight:

Peter W - b1861, , to US abt 1879, died in Butte Montana 1944 (married & had a family there)
Felix W - b 1867; Unknown after  1881 Census but died UK  1905
James b 1868 on Census 1901, died Transvaal South Africa 1903
Patrick b 1870;  unknown after 1901 but poss:  in Montana 1902 and died there 1908
Joseph b 1881**, on Census 1901, to US May 1904, died Butte Montana 1906

and there were two more:
John b 1874, last on Census 1891
William b 1879 last on Census 1901

........And I just found William WARD 25, Miner, of Egremont on a passenger list for the "Saxonia" in July 1904 - going to Butte. And going to his brother J WARD of 441 Anaconda Road.... ;D ;D ;D 

.....AND I think the 441 may be an error on someone's part (his ot the list-maker) for, on the same Manifest, not next to William but up a bit -  is a William McCARTNEY 20, miner of Egremont going to Butte, to his friend J WARD of 431 Ananconda!

There were other English born WARD's  in Butte , different from the one Peter,WARD whom  we knew was yours. A large mining town, a lot of Irish miners - I thought it was just co-incidence .....but now, perhaps not so much ; a new hunt begins.

As to Felix - I wonder if the missing years, he could have been in South Africa and that is why James went there after 1901? Something may come to light there when you can get James death notice.

**Just noticed,  Joseph was born in 1881 not 1883,  he is on 1881 Census age 9 weeks  -  tho' Joseph's age on the 1904 ship list is 21 years&4 months - he may have actually been 22+ then; he was 25 when he died in 1906, again pointing to 1881 YOB.

Also noticed Felix appears to have a middle initial W? on the 1871 Census, but nowhere else - not on birth or death registration nor on 1881.

Will email you what I can find on William!

Cheers
AMBLY