Author Topic: Bloomin' family did a disappearing act!!!! New eyes needed!  (Read 15039 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomin' family did a disappearing act!!!! New eyes needed!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 September 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Must be your age, getting slow  :P (age in profile - 153?!)  ;D
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry guys, been offline on the way home from work. Wonderful stuff. The Benjamin Chamberlain is a good addition as I found William Chamberlain's birth earlier on - his father was a Benjamin.

St. Osyth is a place I know well - I'm currently studying the literature of witchcraft for my history PhD, and one of the most famous English trials took place there - still holding on to that small hope that I may end up being related to someone involved in that whole business!!!
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mads
I too had this problem with the Austen/Austin family from North Essex.
I have a Elizabeth Austen born 1797 in St Osyth.On the parish Records her father is down as Arston !!!.
I think the problem lies with the local dialect and' Arston' is how someone from this area would pronounce it.
Nassau is also connected with St Osyth Priory .
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 September 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Must be your age, getting slow  :P (age in profile - 153?!)  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 September 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Re witchcraft trials
I think old Ursula Kemp was last seen floating off to sea near Boscastle.
You will need to contact Phyll Hendy ,local historian for St Osyth and a wonderful font of info regarding the village.She is a genuine Toosey Whooper.
If you need a contact no for her ,I will send you a PM.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 September 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
I'd be really interested in that contact Lin, if she wouldn't mind me being in touch.

This is probably a really silly catalyst, but I have a couple of friends that are spiritualist mediums who have told me I have a maternal 'spirit' who watches over me - they think she's a GGG auntie on my mother's side (or something), and that she was often accused of witchcraft because of her natural medicine and self-sufficiency - apparently she's taken an interest in me and my research (perhaps she influenced my interests, who knows!). Her name's Rosie, so now I'm in St Osyth wouldn't it be exciting to come across someone in the tree with that name!!

Sad aren't I???

Well, I've just got myself up to almost 19,000 words of this darn essay, so I'm off to bed!
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pgmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mads,
I think that I may be able to help you with your research into your GG Grandfather Robert Francis Hodgson.  I am also researching this family.  According to my Records, his parents were Charles Hodgson and Sarah Barker.  They had an enormous family (about 15 children) who were all rather successful for their time.  Robert Francis (the youngest child in the family) had an older brother born in 1810, also called Robert Hodgson, funnily enough.  This Robert is my GG grandfather.  I don't know why they would have named two sons Robert, but possibly due to the large gap in their ages, the older Robert would have already have left home by the time the second one was born. These are the names of Charles Hodgson and Sarah Barker's children:  Rachel Blanche Hodgson (1805-1889), Sarah Hodgson (1807-1885), Charles Francis Hodgson (1808-1882), Robert Hodgson (1810-1888), Joseph Barker Hodgson (1812-1873), William Hodgson (1814-1896), Maria Barbara Hodgson (1816-1887), Ann Hodgson (1817-1900), Elizabeth Hodgson (1818-?), Eliza Hodgson (1819-1891), Mary Hodgson (1819-?), Francis Hodgson (1820-?), Jane Hodgson* (1821-?), Theresa Jane Hodgson (1822-?), Edward Chapman Hodgson (1825-1896), Robert Francis Hodgson (1831-1874).

I am dead certain about 8 of these children, and fairly sure about 7 of them, but I am doubtful about Jane Hodgson being one of their children though, I believe her to be the second wife of Joseph Barker Hodgson, but I may be proved wrong in the future.

I have a great deal of information on who each of these children married and their descendants.  These are the descendants I have for your GG grandfather Robert Francis Hodgson:

Interestingly, Robert Francis Hodgson died in the same year that his son Francis Joseph Hodgson was born.  Because Francis Joseph was actually born at sea off Cape Horn, it is assumed that his father died after his birth.  In the 1881 Census, Thurza, Robert's wife, is recorded as a Widow.

She had two children to raise, Mary Thurza and then Francis J Hodgson who by the age of 17 years in 1891, was recorded as being a Press Reader.  It is interesting to note that he was born Off Cape Horn, Brit. Vessel.  Robert's wife must have accompanied him on possibly his last voyage!

By 1901, Francis Joseph was married to Margaret and they had 2 children, Robert F Hodgson and Cyril A Hodgson.  His occupation at this time was Bank Clerk.  They were living at 126 Sandyford Road, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Mary Thurza married Charles E Reay, son of John Reay (1816-1902) and Jane Elliott (1834-1899).

Offline pgmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 July 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Mads
I am pleased to hear from you.  Yes, since sending you that message, I have discovered that several children I had attributed to Charles Hodgson and Sarah Barker were indeed not theirs.  I have yet to decide how the two families were related.  Unfortunately, I am in England at the moment and not at home in Australia so I don't have my research at my fingertips.  I would love to discuss the Hodgsons further with you and would be happy to share any information which I have that may be relevant to you.

Kind regards

Gail

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 July 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail

Great to hear from you, and that you've cleared up the muddle.

Yes - the inter-relation of the two families has been a stumbling block for many years - although a little break-through may have been made last night - I just need to look a little further.

I have loads of stuff I could send you - one of the main relatives that I work with - my Nan's cousin - actually lives in Port Macquarie in Australia. Don't know whereabouts you're based when you're home.

When you're back drop a message here and I'll PM you my e-mail addy so that I can get things sent to you.

Mads