Author Topic: Marjory DOHERTY  (Read 4035 times)

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marjory DOHERTY
« on: Monday 11 September 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
I'm  trying to trace back  my grandmother Marjory Doherty I have her married to toby Wilders in Campbelltown 1908 but have her in glasgow Stirling road to give birth to my mum  1934 who's   name  was Costance Doherty (or better known as Jean lennox)

Offline oisinh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marjory DOHERTY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
do you know where marjory was born?

thanks
Oisín
Hassan/Hasson - Derry, Ireland
Fleming - Derry
McCloskey
Gormley
Doherty - Donegal
McLaughlin
Brady
Doran - Derry/Donegal, Ireland
McGowan - Donegal

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 08 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oisin
I since found out a little bit more about  my grandmother Marjory her maiden name was McGuire and Doherty was her mothers maiden name ,Marjory was born in Scotland  (Saltcoats)and her mother was from somewhere in Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor

The only birth of a Marjory McGuire in Ayrshire in the right time frame was in 1886 in Stevenston Ayrshire but earlier children look to have been born in Saltcoats. The only census entry I can see for 1891, has the mother Margaret born in Glasgow with father from Ireland:

James McGuire    45, dock labourer, b. Ireland
Margaret McGuire 40, b. Glasgow
Annie McGuire    14, b. Saltcoats
Mary McGuire    12, b. Saltcoats
Patrick McGuire 8, b. Saltcoats
Marjory McGuire 5, b. Stevenston
Margaret McGuire 3, b. Stevenston
James Lang    60, lodger
Patrick McGowan 45, lodger

Address: 33 Green St, Old Ardrossan

Also, I cannot see a marriage entry coming up on Scotlands People for a Marjory McGuire (with the use of wildcards for spelling variations).  What is your source for the 1908 marriage?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:12 GMT (UK) »
By 1901, it looks like Marjory (spelt Margory) was already working away from home. There is a 14 yr old Margory McGuire working as a domestic servant in the Baillie household in Blantyre, Lanarkshire.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage entry coming up on SP for her parents:

1882   MCGUIRE   JAMES   DOCHERTY   MARGARET   ARDROSSAN OLD   /AYR   576/01 0040

It would mean that father James could have been married previously to account for the older children in the home in the 1891 Census. It would be worthwhile you looking at Marjory's birth cert. to confirm parents' names and date/place of their marriage. Alternatively, you could try to find her marriage or death cert, both which would confirm parents' names.

Regards.

Monica

ADDED: Just a thought, with the years you have given in your first post, Marjory would have been 48-9 at the time of your mother's birth (1934), quite an age to still be giving birth.....any chance we have skipped out a generation here?

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
This is my grandmothers family and thanks for the information about Marjory  in 1901 as I didn't know that .Marjory seem to have taken her mothers maiden name (Doherty) when she married in 1908 and gave it to my mother.I have Marjory marrying again in Springburn 1915 to a James Burns so once again she changed her surname
Thanks for the time and effort
Marie

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
I have wondered myself  about her age at time of my mums birth but  can't find any siblings

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
It's going to be hard for you to be definite about anything I think. Marjory seems to have chopped and changed names, it may simply be that she didn't remember. So what do we have:

~ A birth entry in 1886 in Stevenston for a Marjory McGuire, parents James, a dock labourer b. Ireland, and Margaret Docherty b. Glasgow. We also have the family in 1891 with some reference to Saltcoats which ties up with you have heard.

~ Likely death in 1894 of mother Margaret Docherty (husband James, quarryman).

~ A possible entry for a Marjory McGuire in Blantyre age 14 working away from home as a domestic servant.

~ The 1908 MC for a Marjory Docherty to a Toby Wilders, both show-people in Campbeltown. Marjory downs as age 22 (b. 1886 which matches what we have) however she has put parents down as Patrick Docherty, packman and Margaret MS McGuire, both deceased.

~ The 1915 MC for a Marjory Docherty to a James Burns shows her as a spinster and age 28 ( birth year c. 1888), parents John Docherty, quarryman and Marjory McGuire (MS), both deceased.

~ I can't see a death for her under Docherty/Burns. Have you managed to find a death cert for her although going by her previous records, you will probably find differing info on it as well.

Regards.

Monica  :)