Author Topic: Dorset Place Name - Help!  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Dorset Place Name - Help!
« on: Tuesday 12 September 06 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All, ;D

Has anyone ever heard of Lobsile Dorset? This is the place of birth given by my 3rd great grandfather on the 1861 census. The writing is quite clear.

The place of birth is partly scribbled over on the 1851 but definitely starts with "Lobs...." - but the county is given as Hants.

In 1841 he's in Wiltshire and recorded as "born in the county" ::)

He's gone by 1871............. Got any idea where this place might be?

Regards
Darcy ;)
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Place Name - Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
 :-\ Hi Darcy....you know sometimes when something seems really far fetched but because of this hobby and the twists and turns you have to work round even the impossible seems logical......well......I tried every combination of ?ob????? with and without the L at the beginning and i live in Dorset and oringinally in Hants. I couldnt come up with anything except this real, real longshot which would be Ibsley in Ringwood Hants . Just further along the main road from Ringwood Hampshire, within the hour,  it becomes Wiltshire.I just wondered if the person writing the certificate was just writing from sound rather than knowing the spelling. Sorry it is the only thing that i could come up with :'(

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
Can you scan in that part of the document so we can all have a look? Ot tell us more about the records so we can look it up?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:06 BST (UK) »
It couldn't be Ludgershall could it? It's right on the border of Hants and Wilts near Andover. It doesn't explain the Dorset bit, but with no teeth and a couple of pints of 6X, it might sound like Lobsile.
Fred

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
 ;D \ i like your way of thinking Fred and dont forget about the bit of straw that you would be chewing as well hanging from your mouth...........cheryle ::)
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
Shoorly Fred, Lug'shll dushn't shound like Loshile? Not even after a few pints of Wadsworths 6X?

Or, just maybe, you could be right.(Ah, the benefit of a mis-spent youth drinking 6X!)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:27 BST (UK) »
 the bit of straw that you would be chewing as well hanging from your mouth...........cheryle ::)

So what's wrong with having a bit of straw hanging from your mouth? Straw and Wadworth's 6X sounds like a normal night round here;) ;)
And Meles, I know it's not THAT likely but I've been going through every place within a 10 mile radius and can't think of anywhere likely round here.
Fred

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D This isnt going to help Darcy......the picture of a smock, wellies,a pint of Wadsworth and a piece of hanging straw is coming together nicely but....she's in Austrailia.LOL. I'm so glad your cant hear my Dorset accent Darcy you may think we were taking the micky ;D but seriously can you give the x3 grandfathers name so we can have a look at the census and see if anyone else on the surrounding pages has the same place of birth written. It may turn up something ???

very best wishes and i am quite jealous your there and i'm here :'(

cheryle.f

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cheryle for getting us back on track and away from Wadsworths beer...mmm beer.... ;)

meles