Author Topic: Howden Cottages, Cotheridge  (Read 4525 times)

Offline nettex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howden Cottages, Cotheridge
« on: Tuesday 12 September 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. My Grand parents lived in the Worcester Village of Cotheridge in the early 1900s 1915 for certain. thier address was Howden  or Howsden Cottages. I have learned that these Cottages have been demolished, but at the time they were nicknamed the Ink Pots. Some one suggested to me that as the local farms were hopp growers in the 19th centuary they may have been converted oust houses as the hopp growing declined. I would be very greatful if some one knew that was the case. Or if any one has any information about Cotheridge or the Hamlet of Howden/ Howsden.
Thanks    Nettex

Moderators comment: Topic title changed to reflect the actual enquiry

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Accomadation.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Nettex,
Cotheridge is a small village about 3 miles west of Worcester and Howsen is a row of houses down a lane about 1/2 mile from Cotheridge Church. Howsen, which is shown on the map as Upper and Lower Howsen,  probably grew up as a settlement around a farm. There is still some hop growing in the area, which remains very agricultural. However as so few people now work on the land , a lot of the old cottages have been "gentrified".
I live quite near , so next time I'm passing I' ll have a closer look.
Hope this is some help
Carom

Offline nettex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Carom and thaks for your reply. I was begining to give up. As i stated my grandparents lived there in the early 1900s  and my father was born there in 1915. How they came to be there is a complete mystery.On the 1901 census they are living in Walsall before moving from Birmingham and prior to that they are in Manchester, and by about 1925 or so they are back in Birmingham. On all the censuses were he can be found my Grandfather worked in heavy industry. Yet for that short period he worked in a small hamlet as a farm hand. I would love to know how this came about. I would be greatful for any other information you could let me have about Cotheridge.
       Regards Nettex

Offline nettex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 20:37 BST (UK) »
Just to add, the address on my fathers birh cert is 229 Howden Cottages wich gives the impression of rather a lot of cottages.

Offline Bev666

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Howden Cottages, Cotheridge
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I have recently joined this site and read your post about the Ink Pots at Cotheridge, I have lived in and around Cotheridge all my life. My father (86) can remember them from when he was 17/18 years old.
My maternal grandmother told us how she lived in one of the ink pots and slept in the other!! As far as I can judge from her ansestory records this must of been after her youngest sisters birth in 1915 Bromyard and her marriage in 1929. Her marriage certificate just states Cotheridge. Great- grandma later lived 50 yards away from here on the Bromyard road in a house in which her granddaughters husband still lives.
Dad says from his recall they could of once been hop oast houses from there shape and size. All the local land was hop yard.
In those times people from the Birmingham Walsall and Dudley used to spend 6-8 weeks holidays hop picking in this area, this may be why your father was born in this area.
The road/ drive which separated the Ink pots was the half mile long trake edged in Lime trees that lead past st Lenards church to Cotheridge Court, therefore they could of been lodge houses to the grand court house.

Offline nettex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
HI Bev666 thanks for your reply. I would be very greatful if you could let me have any more infomation that you may have about Cotheridge or the ink pots.  Regards Nettx.

Offline johodges

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Nettex,

I lived at Upper Howsen Farm from 1928-1951. My father owned the farm. He bought it when the Berkley Estate was disbanded (Cotheridge Court was part of the Berkley Estate - in fact it was their main residence). My father died in 1960 & the farm was sold.

The avenue & the ink pots belonged to my father as they were on the farm.

I can confirm that Bev666 has surmised correctly, the ink pots were originally lodge houses located either side of massive wrought iron gates to Cotheridge Court.
I can also confirm that their use was that one was to live in and the other to sleep in.

When the farm was sold, the avenue of trees was, tragically, felled & the ink pots fell into disrepair.

Offline nettex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi  johodges,

Thanks for your reply. Pinpointing where the "ink pots " were has helped me get a mental picture about them.
Do you know how many there were? I have wondered if Bev666 family moved in when mine moved out.
There is a record in ST Leonards Church stating the death of there son  William  Rowles in 1925.that along with my fathers birth in1915 is the only two dates I have to link them to  Cotheridge.
Do you know the name Drinkwater from that area?
Once again thank you for your help
    Regards Nettex

Offline johodges

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nettex,

I'm afraid I have no recollection of the name Drinkwater from my time at Cotheridge.

I confirm there were only two inkpots.

Good luck with your search.

Jo