Author Topic: My elusive William David Rees SHIP WRECK?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline reesnm

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
My elusive William David Rees SHIP WRECK?
« on: Friday 05 November 04 20:05 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather, WILLIAM DAVID REES, was born in Aberystwyth in 1859, spent most of his life at sea and died in Portmadog in 1919.  He managed to 'miss' all census.  The only thing that I have gleaned is he was in 3 ship wrecks (a real Uncle Albert) and on one,  he managed to build a raft and survive 3 days.  My mother remembers seeing a magazine in Holyhead library with him on the cover.  If anyone can point me in a direction where I can find out more on the man, I would be forever thankful.

Nesta
Rees - North Wales
Creswick/Criswick - Wiltshire
Burke - London
Humphreys - North Wales

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: My elusive William David Rees SHIP WRECK?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 04 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nesta,

I see you've already posted on :
http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/

which is the site I would have recommended first. As you know where and when he was born, I assume you have his birth certificate.

The LDS site does have an option for the 81 census, location "at sea". I've never used it myself, but I would assume this would cover all British registered ships.

You could also try Llangefni archives - its worth a go. I've posted the contact details elsewhere on this site - can't remember where though.

Dewi
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II