Author Topic: Edwards Family - St Dogmells and Cardigan St Mary`s  (Read 3421 times)

Offline james79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwards Family - St Dogmells and Cardigan St Mary`s
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
Is there any one able to help me  regarding finding out the Edwards family.  I have managed to go back through the CENSUS years back to 1841 when the Edwards family lived on Pendre Street.  From the census it appears that William Edwards was born in about 1808 in St Dogmells I am trying to trace the family line back further if possible.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards Family - St Dogmells and Cardigan St Mary`s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Hugh Wallis site for info from the familysearch site, there are quite a few Edwards in St Dogmaels

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyPembroke.htm#PageTitle

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
You may also find this useful, posted by RootsChat on the Pembroke board

Three Counties Marriages 1813-1837 by Grooms Index
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlscfhs/threecountiesmarriages.htm

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 23:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, first of all. Your posting gave me a bit of a start as I've also got a William Edwards from St Dogmaels, also married to an Elizabeth. Mine was a bit before yours(b. c1790) and was a mariner. Having visited the graveyard there, I'd say that Edwards wasn't an uncommon name in the area, there was a limited amount of first names used and the families are usually linked to the sea- so not easy to distinguish one family from another.
 If you check the parish entry on the Genuki site, it gives details of where the church records are held - mainly the National Library of Wales, though there are gaps. There are LDS microfilms of some of the records and the call numbers are also on the Genuki page. There's also a link to the Dyfed Family History Society site and they have transcribed various records and have some available to buy.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline james79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
The William Edwards I am looking for was a sail maker, one of his son`s my great great grandfather was a mariner.  On the Census William Edwards is down as birth being Saint Dogwells.  Is that the same as Saint Dogmaels or are they two separate places?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 06 20:53 BST (UK) »
They are 2 different parishes. St Dogwells is near Haverfordwest, while St Dogmaels, which I've seen on more than one census entry as St Dogmells, is just over the river Teifi from Cardigan - about 5 minutes to drive. What we've said about the parish records still holds, especially checking Genuki for the whereabouts of the parish records of whichever parish you might need. St Dogmaels and Cardigan would definitely have needed sail makers as they are right on the river and have sheltered moorings but it's not far to the open sea. St Dogwells is further inland for a sail maker, but perhaps that's why he moved to Cardigan?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline james79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 06 18:54 BST (UK) »
How would I go about checking parish records if it an error.  The census does say William Edwards Sailmaker born in St Dogwells but as you said it could mean St Dogmaels and IS there a way I can purchase the parish records on line  for both places. pre 1813

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
parish records aren't available on line for either parish that I know of. If you check the Genuki pages for both parishes, you will see where the records are. Dyfed Family History Society has records for sale on fiche and some on cd - there is a list on their website. The cd I have from them for Pembrokshire baptisms is only church baptisms. The marriages cd for Cardiganshire has no details of occupations or parents as the contents are meant only as a guide. If you check the Dyfed FHS website, there are people who will do look ups or have records that might help you.
The other source is the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. If you can't get there yourself, there is a list on their website of people who will do look ups for a fee as the library do not provide a look up service any longer.

Offline Medwards54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 September 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
Traced my family tree back to William Edwards born 1808 St Dogmells (St Dogmaels?). Found lots of information on Son John Edwards who moved to Swansea, was a Cape Horner & Master Mariner. (Pics, press cuttings etc).  Looking for further information on Williams parents or residence in St Dogmaels.