Author Topic: MUTTERS Cider Shop in Exmouth 1840s  (Read 2073 times)

Offline LongJohnSilver2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MUTTERS Cider Shop in Exmouth 1840s
« on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information about the supposed owner/landlord - or of the establishment itself -  of what has been called "Mutters Cider Shop".    This was said to be located "on the corner of Hamilton road, just beyond Waterworks Cottage, Salterton Road"

This was supposed to be the 'headquarters' of local smugglers in the 1840s - at the time of the well-known John Rattenbury of Beer.

I am trying to connect this cider shop / public house to my family of MUTTER, of whom I have various records tying them in with the smuggling operations of this time.

Any ideas on finding info on the public house would be appreciated - such as licence required for landlord?, photos, maps, directory entries etc.

Also any information on MUTTERS in the surrounding area.

Thanks

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MUTTERS Cider Shop in Exmouth 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi LJS,

Welcome to RootsChat  :) :)

try looking in the Surname Interests Table (link at bottom of the page [Your Surname Interests] )
There are two RootsChatters looking for MUTTER, one of them in Devon & Somerset.

Might be worth sending her a PM
(use the supplied name link, and click on "Send this RootsChatter a personal message")

(and while you are there, add your names, too :) :) )

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Gues this is your own article then ?

http://www.smuggling.co.uk/gazetteer_sw_10.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LongJohnSilver2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
No, thats not my article, although it has quoted from certain written sources as I did in my original query.

The problem with the article that you have linked to, is that it, and a number of others written about the Mutter connection to Rattenbury, is that they have all appeared to copy one source for their genealogical information on the names of the Mutter men involved... and unfortunately this original article has many errors (thats newspapers for you!).  And every time this information gets copied it is taken as further 'proof'.

I have traced back from letters I have received from the children (then very elderly) of the original Mutter (born 1881) who told his memories to a Devon newspaper in the 1950s - whom for their first error  even got his first name wrong!

From him I have traced back through registers and census records etc to arrive at who I think the real Mutter accomplices of Rattenbury were, but I am always on the lookout for information to confirm or disprove the various 'factual' statements in these publications.

Offline samanalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, i think someone in my family said were too were related to them. My great grand parerents came from Corfe in Somerset  ( whole churchard of Mutters in there)and moved to Surrey where i was born.
I have recently moved to Devon and read up a bit on the smugglers which was quite interesting seeing i am so close to my roots as such. I even have a son called Sam. Any info on the family tree etc of them would be gratefully received.
Kind regards
Michael Mutter

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 August 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you compare the 1890 oldmap with the 1905, it looks as if the building on the corner was constructed between those dates, with the earlier ones having been demolished.
This is the 1890.
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/301566/81266/12/100687

By 1933 even the corner building was gone

If you haven't used oldmaps before you need to zoom out until the map appears in B/W if you come out too far it will revert to the modern map.
The blue square next to the full screen button will remove/reinstate the blue overlay and the LH menu will find different dates and scales. stick to 1:2500 or 1:1250 for best views.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.