Author Topic: Builth, Hay, Kington, Knighton, Presteigne, Rhayader  (Read 1992 times)

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Builth, Hay, Kington, Knighton, Presteigne, Rhayader
« on: Thursday 14 September 06 10:11 BST (UK) »
Builth, Hay, Kington, Knighton, Presteigne, Rhayader is the sub heading for the Radnorshire board.
Trouble is the first three towns aren't in Radnorshire

On the Monmouthshire list I see that  Cardiff the capital city of Wales  and  the city of Hereford  have been moved into Monmouthshire?.
Any chance a moderator could have a clean up? This would help posters put their look up requests in the best places to get a reply..

Can I suggest as an aid to finding what county a town is in
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geogdata/ngw/counties.htm

There’s a map on
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geogdata/ngw/map.htm

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Builth, Hay, Kington, Knighton, Presteigne, Rhayader
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi kmo

You are right, of course, but I believe there was a reason for putting things where they are - after all our venerable Trystan is a Welshman!  Ashamed to admit that although the logic was explained to me, I have forgotten what it was!

Will endeavour to find out for you.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

(also partly made-in-Wales!)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 06 10:39 BST (UK) »
My reason for asking is that recently on the Radnorshire board there have been several requests for information about Builth . On one I suggested that the Breconshire board would  be a better bet. The person reposted their request on the Breconshire board Then a moderator linked the two threads "to avoid duplication of posts".
As a Welshman and native of Radnorshire, I'm all for making life as less complicated as possible. Hence the suggestion. :)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 06 10:43 BST (UK) »
One suggestion for the circumstances you mention is to use the Report to Mod button and say that the thread is incorrectly posted - one of us will happily move it.

Although I agree, it would be more logical to have the places in the correct county to start with. 

I know there is an explanation and have passed a message to Admin...

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)