Author Topic: Duffy and Fox in Caven  (Read 4634 times)

Offline irishmansmiling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy and Fox in Caven
« on: Friday 15 September 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking time to read my post. I have what could be some very useful information relating to my family history.

My great-grandmother (Mary Ann McNally McCabe) wrote the following information in her cook book sometime between 1920 until her death in 1952. Her mother was Elizabeth Fox married to Patrick McNally circa 1878.

I've attaced a copy of the cook book page so you can see how it was orignally written.

Catherine Duffy Lesnadora, Shercock
Patrick Fox Corrachora Shercock
Michael Fox heirs, Rebane Ballytrain
Carricmacross where I was baptized

Michael Fox children
Patrick Fox 249 East 82nd Street New York, NY
Mary Redding 709 Amsterdam Avenue New York, NY

Does anyone recognize the townland names? Are you perhaps related to the Duffy and Fox family's that lived in those areas?

Catherine Duffy is listed as a Godparent to Mary Ann McNally. Mary Ann's mother is Elizabeth Fox McNally. I'm assuming that Catherine could be a sister to Elizabeth and therefore be a Fox.

You may respond to this message by using this board or contact me
email address removed to stop spam
Thank you,
Patrick Ryan

Offline cavanlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy and Fox in Caven
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
hi just seen  your message shercock is in cavan town . and therewaas  are still foxs living there . the ones i knew had a shoe shop and were around when my mother young . i was friends of one of them  hope this helps

Offline irishmansmiling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for your reply.  Do you know how I can write any of the Fox families you know in Shercock Co Caven?

Thank you,
Patrick

Offline cavanlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
hiya patrick with regard to the fox family i know only that their shop is on main st cavan . they did live on farnham rd  I    was a pal of  geraldine fox. dad was michael as far as i remember. i looked up griffiths land valiation of ireland and found  there were  Duffys fox and Mc Nallys living in shercock. Carrickmacross is actually in Monaghan which is not far from Cavan.   on the the valuation there is a Patrick Mc Nally of Crock Lusty Shercock !      On Latterday Saints website there are several Mc Nallys born Ireland,  census taken in New York.   if you write to foxs shoe shop main st cavan . im sure they will receive it . Cavan is quite small, where everyone knows everyone!  out of interest Shercock is actually gaelic  it means Young Love  hope this has been of some help . The duffy family lived on the Barrick Hill .cavan . father was building contractor.good luck if i can be of any more help let me know.  angie

Offline dc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 09 23:47 GMT (UK) »
hello Patrick,
How are you getting on with you search? My  neighbours are Fox, I was chatting to one of them recently about  family background and he was telling me his branch of the Fox family came from Coothill Co. Cavan, which is'nt too far from where your looking.
If this is any use to you, get back to me and find out more and pass on their address or e-mail
DC

Offline irishmansmiling 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:24 GMT (UK) »
hiya patrick with regard to the fox family i know only that their shop is on main st cavan . they did live on farnham rd  I    was a pal of  geraldine fox. dad was michael as far as i remember. i looked up griffiths land valiation of ireland and found  there were  Duffys fox and Mc Nallys living in shercock. Carrickmacross is actually in Monaghan which is not far from Cavan.   on the the valuation there is a Patrick Mc Nally of Crock Lusty Shercock !      On Latterday Saints website there are several Mc Nallys born Ireland,  census taken in New York.   if you write to foxs shoe shop main st cavan . im sure they will receive it . Cavan is quite small, where everyone knows everyone!  out of interest Shercock is actually gaelic  it means Young Love  hope this has been of some help . The duffy family lived on the Barrick Hill .cavan . father was building contractor.good luck if i can be of any more help let me know.  angie

Hi Angie,
Thank you so much for this information even though it's been nearly 14 years since you posted it. Life became extremely busy in 06 and I got away from my research. Back at it now. I realize precious time has been lost, however thank you again!
Patrick

Offline irishmansmiling 2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
hello Patrick,
How are you getting on with you search? My  neighbours are Fox, I was chatting to one of them recently about  family background and he was telling me his branch of the Fox family came from Coothill Co. Cavan, which is'nt too far from where your looking.
If this is any use to you, get back to me and find out more and pass on their address or e-mail
DC

Hi DC,
Thank you so much for this information even though it's been nearly 14 years since you posted it. Life became extremely busy in 06 and I got away from my research. Back at it now. I realize precious time has been lost, however thank you again!
Patrick

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone recognize the townland names?

Using https://www.townlands.ie/:

Catherine Duffy Lesnadora, Shercock

Probably Lisnadarragh, making allowances for spelling.
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clankee/shercock/shercock/lisnadarragh/

Michael Fox heirs, Rebane Ballytrain

Rebane townland in the Electoral Division of Bellatrain, in Civil Parish of Aghnamullen. It's north of the town of Shercock.
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/cremorne/aghnamullen/bellatrain/rebane/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo