Author Topic: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!  (Read 203663 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be deceived - Research isn't always easy!
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 29 January 09 01:47 GMT (UK) »
That is, if you're in England.  :D
If you're in any other country you need to apply to your state records office.
Most record offices are on-line, so try a google search.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline frankie s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 31 January 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
HELLO
IM STILL TRYING TO GET USE TO THIS
HOW DO I GET HELP ON WHAT IM SEARCHING FOR
I DONT KNOW MY WAY AROUND THIS SITE CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE
IM POSTING ON WRONG POSTS I THINK

REGARDS
FRANKIE S

My email address is not working sorry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 31 January 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frankie

If you go to rootschat.com you will see Beginners and How to Use Rootschat at the top of the list of boards which is a good place to start.

Basically if you want to ask for a look up in a certain county each County under England - Genral has a look up board.

Best regards

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 01 February 09 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I notice you're in Ireland Frankie, if you're looking for Irish ancestors there is an Ireland board where you can post.
At the very top of this page, in fact, every page, is the RootsChat.com logo, under that there's buttons for [Welcome] [Home] etc. Click on [Home] for the home page. From there you can navigate the forums and threads. eg; Common Room, Beginners, England etc.....
Best of luck.  :D
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline nannyloulou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 05 February 09 12:19 GMT (UK) »
hello all, im new to the site today. im having a lot of trouble finding the date of birth of one of my ancestors,  i am now wondering if a birth certificate was required in 1896 when getting married. could anyone help me please

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 06 February 09 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Nannyloulou

Welcome to Rootschat!

I dont think you had to produce a birth certificate to get married (I dont remember having to show mine when I got married either}

Have you found the couple post marriage in the 1891 and 1901? If so it might be worth posting on the relevant county board the information you do have so someone can have a look for futher information on the person you want

Good hunting!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline exredhead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 08 February 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just joined this site today, and am not exactly computer literate!  Hope to be able to navigate my way round it  and hopefully learn some more info. about my family and my husband's family.  Seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment. 

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 09 February 09 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi exredhead,
welcome to RootsChat.
We all have brick walls, that's why we come here. :D
If you have a few marriage dates and birth dates plus some names to go with them, post them here to start with and someone will give you a hand.
Please DON'T post names of any living family members without their consent.
Best of luck,
Leonie.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I certainly agree that research isnt "easy"... but, at times its like a flow of info then BANG!... no further... for a while, then I either stop... for a lil while, till something crops up and re fires me, or i transfer to another family line... but yup, families were so inconsiderate! why didnt they know that we were all gonna get pc's and be able to go lookin to find out what they had for breakfast that morning before they went off to the coal mine back in 1821! LOL

What bugs me w my lot, is why cant they keep there names!!! lol, I have a Beatrice, who is actually a Bridget Catherine... even tho, (even her own daughter knew her as Beatrice!)  a Bridget Sheldon, who is probably a sheldon sherdon, shiridin sheridan or churden...

And a grandad who is Thomas Alfred of 1904, but the 1911 census, has all his family where they should be, right street, house number, family members... but the first born, 1904, yep right year .. is John! LOL

all that said, I love tracing my tree, maybe its because i never knew My grandparents.. as to dads line, well... dont think i'll ever get far there..  as im a .... SMITH!

Midlands here too btw (Wolverhampton)

and of course, now I do have more leads that i need the archives for, woohooo.. but there open in feb and yep, it is feb right now.....so of course the archives now open mid march lol

But this sight has been wonderful and took me a lot further than i thought on the trickier sides, where I was hitting a wall, others here came forward and brought there bulldozers along with them, only to find the hidden family members waving at me from the other side of the wall lol

Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex