Author Topic: Devonport 1841/1851- Eliza CROWLEY  (Read 1759 times)

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Devonport 1841/1851- Eliza CROWLEY
« on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Eliza Crowley born Devonport c 1838 and wondered if anyone had access to 1841 or 1851 and could find her?
Thank you very much
Louise
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: Devonport 1841/1851- Eliza Crowley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
hi do u have name of parents raa

Offline davecrowley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devonport 1841/1851- Eliza CROWLEY
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 13 04:02 BST (UK) »
From your post, I assume you are descended from Eliza Ellen Crowley, who was born on 21 July 1833 and baptised 31 Aug 1833. Eliza Crowley married William Budge in the chapel of East Stonehouse on 3 May 1852. She was described as being aged 21, living at 18 George Street, daughter of “Brian Crowley, mariner”. I have the census records you mention, and can send them as images (see end).

Soon after the marriage they moved to Torpoint, across the Sound in Cornwall, where her husband came from. Their children: William (1853), Frederick (1863), Clara (1866), Florence (1868), Arthur (1905).

I have full details of their children's births, from the microfilmed parish registers, and have traced descendents (surnamed Budge), in some cases down to the 1970s.

I am descended from Eliza Crowley's brother, Edward William Crowley, born 1837. Soon after attending Eliza's wedding, Ned embarked on the merchant vessel Panama. He had been attending Greenwich Naval College, and this was his first ship. Reaching Melbourne at the height of the Gold Rush, the whole crew deserted, including Ned, and he never returned to England.

I have written a full biography of Eliza's father, Bryan, who served in the RN. I was lucky enough many years ago to get a transcript of all of Bryan's ships — the record is lodged in the Greenwich application papers for his son Ned. I know all his ships, all his captains, all his ports of call.

To go back another generation, Bryan Crowley was son of William Crowley, a baker. The family was living in Paul Street, Cork City c. 1780. Bryan was pressganged into the RN, but stayed in the service, married Mary Sullivan, and made Devonport home. Mary died in the cholera outbreak of 1849, along with her daughter Margaret (Bunster). Bryan remarried later in life, Phillis Moon. All this is in the biography. These materials are pdf files, which I can send you. Email me at (*)

Regards, Dave Crowley

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ocrowley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devonport 1841/1851- Eliza CROWLEY
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 July 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I believe that I am also a descendant of Edward William Crowley, brother of Eliza Crowley.

My g-g-grandfather was the son of Edward/nephew of Eliza.

If you have any further information, I would love to find out more.

Thanks.