Author Topic: GODDARD of Salisbury  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GODDARD of Salisbury
« on: Monday 18 September 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information regarding James and Eliza Goddard, the parents of Emma Goddard, who was baptised at Salisbury St Thomas, Wiltshire on 30th May 1824. James is shown to be a coachman in the baptism record.

Census records show Eliza to have been born in Southampton, but I have been unable to find any record of James.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GODDARD of Salisbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 06 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Number 56

There is no Eliza Goddard in the 1841 census for Wiltshire and no viable option for Emma.   There is no viable James in the 1851 and although there is an Eliza it may be difficult to prove she is your Eliza.

Emma is the only child with parents James and Eliza baptized in St Thomas, although there are several others born within the county.

Regards

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GODDARD of Salisbury
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 September 06 14:48 BST (UK) »
Colin,

Thank you very much for having a look for me.

I think the Eliza you found in 1851 was probably the one living in Salisbury Cathedral Close (North of the Square, Liberty of the Close);

Eliza Goddard – Widow(?) – Servant – 57 – Housekeeper – Born Hants, Southampton.

This does tie in with the 1861 census when I found her living with my 2 x Great-grandmother Ada Ellen Shuttle and 3 x Great-grandparents, David Shuttle and Emma (nee Goddard) at Ivy Place, Castle Street, Salisbury;

Eliza Goddard - Mother-in-law - Widow – 73 - Retired Cook and Housekeeper - Born Southampton.

I too could not find James or Eliza in the 1841 census (except for a slim possibility in Enfield Middlesex). I think I may have found Emma working as a servant in Southampton.

Do you have any details of the other children born in the county with parents James and Eliza Goddard? If I could prove them to be the same family, it might give me a clue as to where James and Eliza were married and tell me something about their movements.

Thanks again,

David